Tension and Acceleration with a Pulley and Two Masses

In summary: However, since the moment of inertia is zero for a massless pulley, the right-hand side will also be zero. Therefore, the tensions on both sides will be equal.
rakeru

Homework Statement

If there is a mass on a frictionless table connected by a string to another mass hanging from a pulley off the side of the table, is the net force on the string zero? Is the force of tension equal on both sides if the system is accelerating? Would both objects accelerate equally?

Physics news on Phys.org
We eagerly await your attempts at answers.

I mean, I think it would be equal.. but I'm not sure. Apparently it would be zero if the string has negligible mass.

If the string is light the net force on it is zero; or else it is accelerating and so there should be some force on it.If the pulley is also massless, the tension on both sides will be same.And obviously both the objects will have same acceleration,provided the string is rigid.

projjal said:
If the string is light the net force on it is zero; or else it is accelerating and so there should be some force on it.
I would word that a little differently. If a section of the string has mass m and acceleration a then the net force on it is ma. If the string is massless then that must be 0.
If the pulley is also massless, the tension on both sides will be same.And obviously both the objects will have same acceleration,provided the string is rigid.
Another possibility is that there may be friction in the pulley's axle. (We generally assume there is sufficient friction between the string and pulley to prevent slipping.) This would lead to a difference in tensions even if the pulley is massless.

Another possibility is that there may be friction in the pulley's axle

Yeah i missed that point.

haruspex said:
Another possibility is that there may be friction in the pulley's axle. (We generally assume there is sufficient friction between the string and pulley to prevent slipping.) This would lead to a difference in tensions even if the pulley is massless.

I do not understand the case when friction is present at the axle and the pulley is massless.

Writing torque equation,(T1-T2)R=Iα .But the R.H.S is zero as I=0.So,T1=T2 .

How is that there is difference in tensions,when the pulley is massless ?

Thanks!

I do not understand the case when friction is present at the axle and the pulley is massless.

Writing torque equation,(T1-T2)R=Iα .But the R.H.S is zero as I=0.So,T1=T2 .

In the torque equation, there'll be torque due to the force of friction.

1) What is tension in a pulley system?

Tension in a pulley system is the force exerted on a rope or cable when it is pulled tightly from both ends. In other words, it is the force that is transmitted through the rope or cable when it is used to lift or move an object.

2) How does tension affect acceleration in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, the tension in the rope or cable is directly related to the acceleration of the masses being lifted or moved. As the tension increases, the acceleration also increases. This is because the tension in the rope or cable provides the necessary force to overcome the weight of the masses and accelerate them.

3) How is tension calculated in a pulley system?

Tension in a pulley system can be calculated using the equation T=ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass being lifted or moved, and a is the acceleration of the masses. The value of T will vary depending on the specific setup and conditions of the pulley system.

4) What is the relationship between the masses and acceleration in a pulley system?

In a pulley system with two masses, the acceleration of the system is directly proportional to the difference in mass between the two masses. This means that the larger the difference in mass, the greater the acceleration will be.

5) How does friction affect tension and acceleration in a pulley system?

Friction can play a significant role in a pulley system, as it can affect both the tension and acceleration. Friction in the pulley or on the surface where the rope or cable is moving can decrease the tension and therefore decrease the acceleration. However, if the friction is reduced or eliminated, the tension and acceleration will increase.