Calculating Tension in a String with Mass & Torsion

In summary, the question asks about the tension in a vertical string with a mass attached to its end that is twisted by an angle. The relevant equations are T=mg and torque= torsional constant x angular displacement. The attempt at a solution involved applying the equation T=mg, but there is confusion about the role of torsion. The forces on the mass include tension and torsion, but they cannot be added together as they are different types of forces. To find the tension, one can use the equation ##\Sigma F = ma## applied to the mass in the vertical direction.
jonny23

Homework Statement

if a vertical string hangs with mass M attached to its end and is twisted by angle (theta) then
what will be the tension in the string

2. relevant equations
T= mg

torque= torsional constant x angular displacement
3. attempt to solution

i am not able to start with solution but it seems that tension that is Mg and torsion must be added

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, jonny23, but PF isn't the Magic 8-Ball. There are three parts to the HW template and you have completed only the first part. You still must provide a listing of any equations you think are relevant to finding a solution, and then show some work actually leading up to a solution, even an incorrect one.

So you've applied the equation, come up with Mg as the answer, and are wondering what torsion has to do with it, right?
Consider the mass and the forces on it. What are they?

and tension and torsion would be 90 degrees right so i need to take vector sum

jonny23 said:
and tension and torsion would be 90 degrees right so i need to take vector sum
Torsion is a torque, not a linear force, so it doesn't really make sense to add them together.
Of the forces/torques exerted by the string on the mass, I would say that, by definition, the tension is the linear component acting along the string. On that basis, what does ##\Sigma F = ma## applied to the mass in the vertical direction tell you?

(To get a complete picture of the forces on the mass, bear in mind that something is applying a torque to the mass in order to twist the string.)

1. How do I calculate tension in a string with mass and torsion?

To calculate the tension in a string with both mass and torsion, you will need to use the equation T = mg + kθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object attached to the string, g is the gravitational acceleration, k is the torsional constant, and θ is the angle of twist.

2. What is the significance of mass in calculating tension in a string?

Mass plays a crucial role in determining the tension in a string. The greater the mass of the object attached to the string, the greater the tension will be. This is because the weight of the object exerts a downward force on the string, causing it to stretch and increase in tension.

3. How does torsion affect the tension in a string?

Torsion, or the twisting force, also plays a role in determining the tension in a string. When an object is attached to the string and twisted, it causes the string to stretch and increase in tension. The more torsion applied, the greater the tension in the string will be.

4. Can tension in a string with mass and torsion be negative?

Yes, tension in a string with mass and torsion can be negative. This occurs when the torsional force is greater than the weight of the object attached to the string. In this case, the string will twist in the opposite direction, causing the tension to be negative.

5. How can I use the calculated tension in a string with mass and torsion in real-world applications?

The calculated tension in a string with mass and torsion can be used in various real-world applications, such as determining the strength of cables or ropes used in construction or engineering projects. It can also be used in measuring the tension in musical instrument strings or determining the force needed to stretch elastic materials.