1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension Forces and rubber bands

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    I am doing some work with tension forces and applying different masses to different items like strings. We did some things with rubber bands too. I am having trouble with one of the questions posed.

"In general, in order for a rubber band to pull back, what does it have to do?"

I want to say there is nothing the rubber band could do. It was made that way. So I guess they're asking that if the tension of the rubber band increased it would pull back more? Or that for a rubber band to pull back it must be strecthed?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

A rubber band behaves elastic up to some point.
  4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    This has me stumped:

"What change takes place in a surface so it can push back?"
  5. Oct 5, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

When a force displaces an object through a certain distance energy is expended by the person/machine or whatever exerts the force. Usually internal energy is converted to mechanical energy with such a process. We find the same situation when an eleastic is stretched - it needs to convert internal energy to mechanical energy in order to pull back on whatever is extending it. You can actually notice such a temperature increase of an elastic as a result of such a process. Try to feel the difference in temperature of an elastic on your lips before and after stretching it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?