Tension in a single rope holding a block, no motion.

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggle with understanding tension in a physics problem involving a 2kg block suspended from a single rope at a 37 degree angle from the vertical. The homework equations provided include the force of gravity and the student is seeking help in understanding how to calculate the tension in the string. A suggestion is given to consider the tension in a simpler situation, and it is determined that the tension in the string would be equal to the force of gravity. The conversation ends with the question of what additional force would be needed to balance the sideways force in the given problem.
MissJewels
So this is a very basic question on tension, i assume, however every example provided in my book shows the tension within two cords. I can't seem to grasp the correct way to do this...

Homework Statement

A 2 kg block is suspended from a single rope. A horizontal force keeps the cord at 37o from the vertical. Find the module
a) of the force
b) the tension of the string

Homework Equations

Fg = 2*9,8 = 19,6 N
uhmmm... stuck!

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven'y started the question because i need a boost, can anyone provide help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'd start out by trying to balance the forces - if the block isn't moving, the forces you're interested in must be balanced by the gravitational force downwards, namely, the relevant equation above.

(This is the first time I've tried to give homework help, if it's too much or too little information, do let me know!)

So, seeing as the string is being pulled by a horizontal force, there's an angle at play. I imagine i should calculate the tension or force but I don't know what equations to use

To be honest, I'm a little bit confused about the source of this horizontal force, and wondering what's balancing it.

Nevertheless -

In a simpler situation, consider a block suspended from a rope, without moving, hanging straight down. Do you know how to calculate the tension in that situation?

i figure the tension would be the same as the gravitational force, which is 19,6N, right?

Yep!

So now, instead of just balancing the downwards force of gravity, you need to also balance the sideways force. What force would you need to keep the block at that angle?

Sorry. I'm trying not to give it totally away.

What is tension?

Tension is a pulling force created by an object that is being pulled in different directions.

How is tension calculated?

Tension is calculated by taking into account the weight of the object being pulled, the angle at which the rope is being pulled, and any other external forces acting on the object.

What factors affect tension in a single rope?

The weight of the object being pulled, the angle at which the rope is being pulled, the material and thickness of the rope, and any other external forces acting on the object can affect tension in a single rope.

What happens to tension if the weight of the object increases?

If the weight of the object increases, the tension in the rope will also increase. This is because the rope needs to support the additional weight and is under more strain.

What is the relationship between tension and motion in a single rope holding a block?

In a single rope holding a block, if there is no motion, the tension in the rope is equal to the weight of the block. If there is motion, the tension will vary depending on the speed and direction of the motion.