Tension of two strings with centripetal acceleration?

In summary, the homework statement is that a 4 kg object is attached to a vertical rod by two strings. The object rotates in a horizontal circle at a constant speed of 6 m/s.
Elenor
1. Homework Statement :

A 4.00 kg object is attached to a vertical rod by two strings (as below). The object rotates in a horizontal circle at constant speed 6.00 m/s.

p6-11.gif

mass = 4.00 kg
V = 6.00 m/s

Homework Equations

centripetal acceleration = Ac
Ac = V^2/r

[tex]
\vec{F}_{net} = \Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

mass = 4.00 kg
V = 6.00 m/s

Using trig, the radius (r) = 1.3229m

The lower angle of the top triangle (composed of the half the length of the rod, the length of the string, and the radius) should be 48.5904 degrees. The upper angle would then be 41.4096 degrees.

Using (Ac = V^2/r): (6.00m/s)^2/1.3229m = Ac = 27.2129m/s^2

T1 is the upper string, and
T2 in the lower string.
g = 9.8 m/(s^2)

Here is my main concern--do I have the following two equations right?

[tex]
(\vec{F}_{net})_x = \Sigma F_x = 0
[/tex] = m(Ac) - T1cos(41.4096) - T2cos(41.4096)

[tex]
(\vec{F}_{net})_x = \Sigma F_x = 0
[/tex] = T1sin(41.4096) - T2sin(41.4096) - mg

Therefore:

X direction: m(Ac) = T1cos(41.4096) + T2cos(41.4096)

and

Y direction: mg = T1sin(41.4096) - T2sin(41.4096)

At this point I have all the values except T1 and T2, so I can solve for them . . .

T1 = [m(Ac) - T2cos(41.4096)]/cos(41.4096)

mg = {[m(Ac) - T2cos(41.4096)]/cos(41.4096)} sin(41.4096) - T2sin(41.4096)

mg = m(Ac)[sin(41.4096)]/cos(41.4096) - T2sin(41.4096) - T2sin(41.4096)

-mg + m(Ac)[sin(41.4096)]/cos(41.4096) = T2[sin(41.4096) + sin(41.4096)]

{m(Ac) sin(41.4096)/cos(41.4096) - mg} / 2sin(41.4096)] = T2

T2 = 42.9353N

And . . . using that value of T2, T1 = 102.2001N

Now, I've resorted to working the problem with these numbers, as I have an answer to the problems with these numbers . . . and my problem is that this is not right, and I can't figure out where I went wrong.

With these numbers, I know that the correct answers are: T1 = 109N and T2 = 56.4N

When I figure out what I'm doing wrong, and how to do it right . . . I'll switch to the other set of numbers, for my problem.

Is my method correct? Frequently my problems are due to some little think like forgetting to square something . . . If that's all it is, I'm sorry to bother you guys with it. However, I'll be glad for any help you can give me with this problem! Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please let me know if there's something I should clarify. :-)

I'm not sure how to mark this solved, but at any rate, I've finally figured it out. :-) I was simply using the wrong angle. :eek: Oh well . . . at least I had it mostly right . . . ;)

Elenor said:
I'm not sure how to mark this solved, but at any rate, I've finally figured it out. :-) I was simply using the wrong angle. :eek: Oh well . . . at least I had it mostly right . . . ;)

Seems like a question from MDHS >_> =)

MDHS? Would that be one of these:

MDHS Mississippi Department of Human Services
MDHS Methods for the Determination of Hazardous Substances (United Kingdom)
MDHS Mater Dei High School (Santa Ana, CA)
MDHS McDonnell Douglas Helicopter Systems
MDHS Markham District High School (Canada)
MDHS Monsignor Donovan High School (Ocean County, NJ)
MDHS Milton District High School (Canada)
MDHS Mount Dora High School (Lake County, FL)
(http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/MDHS)

Or something else entirely?

that would be

MDHS Milton District High School (Canada)

:smile:

had the same sort of question on my assignment.

1. How does centripetal acceleration affect the tension of two strings?

The tension of two strings is directly affected by the magnitude of centripetal acceleration. As the centripetal acceleration increases, the tension in the strings also increases. This is because the strings are being pulled outward due to the centrifugal force, which creates a greater tension in the strings.

2. What is the formula for calculating the tension of two strings with centripetal acceleration?

The formula for calculating the tension in two strings with centripetal acceleration is T = m(v^2/r), where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion. This formula takes into account the centripetal force required to keep the object moving in a circular path.

3. How does the angle of the strings affect the tension with centripetal acceleration?

The angle of the strings does not directly affect the tension in the strings with centripetal acceleration. However, the angle can indirectly affect the tension if it changes the radius of the circular motion or the velocity of the object. Both of these factors are included in the formula for calculating tension.

4. Can the tension in the strings be greater than the centripetal force?

Yes, it is possible for the tension in the strings to be greater than the centripetal force. This can occur if there are other forces acting on the object, such as friction or external forces, which add to the total tension in the strings.

5. How does the mass of the object affect the tension in the strings with centripetal acceleration?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the tension in the strings with centripetal acceleration. However, as the mass increases, the centripetal force required to keep the object in circular motion also increases, which in turn increases the tension in the strings. This is reflected in the formula for calculating tension, where mass is a factor in determining the tension.