1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension on a rope from jumping tightwalker

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    A 65.0 kg tightrope walker stands at the center of a rope. The rope supports are 10 m apart and the rope sags 10.0^\circ at each end. The tightrope walker crouches down, then leaps straight up with an acceleration of 7.70 {\rm m}/{\rm s}^{2} to catch a passing trapeze. What is the tension in the rope as he jumps?

F=ma
    Forces, basically.

So, based on the information, I think it's correct to assume because of the tightwalker jumping upwards then the Force from the tightwalker is slackened to 9.8(gravity) - 7.70(acceleration upwards).
    From there: F=Fysin([tex]\theta[/tex])+Fysin([tex]\theta[/tex]) - ma (from the tightwalker) = 0

I plug it in and get 180.71 and it's not the correct answer. I'm doing something wrong here.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2
    "because of the tightwalker jumping upwards then the Force from the tightwalker is slackened"

They want the tension as he jumps, before he leaves the rope.
    Hint: The tightrope walker pushes down to jump up, putting more tension on the rope.

4. Mar 3, 2009 #3
    Maybe I am wrong, but I think the 7.7 m/s^2 that is given is the absolute acceleration of the person. So, the acceleration and mass are both given, which makes it a simple calculation. Using those numbers do you get the correct answer?

5. Mar 3, 2009 #4
    ty Imperitor i got it

it doesn't slacken as he jumps - it adds more force to the equation
    therefore, it = ma(jumper) + m(7.7)(jumper adding force)

and if i plug those in it yields the correct answer :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook