1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensions with 3 blocks on a single pulley

1. Sep 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The diagram shows two blocks, each of mass m, connected by cord A, and the top block of mass m connected to the block of mass M by cord B. Both cords are of negligible mass. Cord B passes over a frictionless peg that is fixed in place. The system of blocks and cords is released from rest from the position shown, and because 2m<M, block M descends under constant acceleration the distance h in a time T. Derive, in terms of m, M, h, T, and the acceleration due of gravity g, expressions for the tensions in the cords A and B during that time T
    pulley.png

upload_2015-9-22_21-30-25.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The picture shows my work. And I was wondering if I drew the FBD correctly and my equations were correct

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

(1) In your FBD for mass 2, you left out the tension from the cord below it.
    (2) When writing your equations, take care to use a consistent sign convention for the acceleration.

4. Sep 23, 2015 #3
    So tension A= m(a+g)
    And
    Tension B= M(g-a)

5. Sep 23, 2015 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Those are correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted