Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor product commutes with pullback?

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello,

I have an exercise where we have to pullback a metric [itex]g^{ij} \, \mathrm dx_i \, \mathrm dx_j[/itex] under a function [itex]f: M \rightarrow N[/itex] (actually in this case [itex]M = \mathbf{R}^2, N = \mathbf{R}^3[/itex], but that's not really relevant).

I managed to do it, provided that the pullback commutes with the tensor product. That is, using that actually [itex]\mathrm dx_i \, \mathrm dx_j = \mathrm dx_i \otimes \mathrm dx_j[/itex], I assumed that
    [tex]f^*(\mathrm dx_i \, \mathrm dx_j) = (f^*(\mathrm dx_i)) \otimes (f^*(\mathrm dx_j))[/tex]
    so then I could use that
    [tex]f^*(\mathrm dx_i) = \mathrm d(f^* x_i) = \mathrm df_i = \frac{\partial f_i}{\partial x_k} \mathrm dx_k [/tex]
    and finish the exercise.

Why is this true?

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2008 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]f^*(dx_i\otimes dx_j)(u,v)=dx_i\otimes dx_j (f_*u,f_*v)=dx_i(f_*u) dx_j(f_*v) [/tex]

[tex]=f^*(dx_i)(u)f^*(dx_j)(v)=f^*(dx_i)\otimes f^*(dx_j)(u,v)[/tex]

4. Feb 25, 2008 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thank you very much!

I missed a lot on this topic though, so I'm not really familiar with pulls/pushes. Could you clarify the first (= third) step a bit?
    Basically, it doesn't matter whether we push u to TN and apply dx, or if we pull dx to T*M and apply it to u -- is this just the "d commutes with push-forwards/pullbacks" statement?

[edit]I found some info here, it seems to be pretty elementary.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. [/edit]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  5. Feb 25, 2008 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every step in my calculation is a simple application of a definition, of either the tensor product or the pullback. If you meant the third equality sign, I'm just using the definition of a pullback there. I suppose I could have dropped some of the parentheses though and wrote the second line as

[tex]=f^*dx_i(u)f^*dx_j(v)=f^*dx_i\otimes f^*dx_j(u,v)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?