Teratomas: Abnormal or Normal-Sized Pieces?

• Thread starter guywithdoubts
  • Start date
In summary, the size of teeth and jawbones found in teratomas varies, but they are often smaller than normal body parts. These out of place tissues and organs cannot function in the same way as they would in a normally developed embryo. Teratomas can also grow to be very large and can be fatal for the embryo or newborn. However, it is difficult to determine the exact dimensions of these tissues without further research.
guywithdoubts
Do pieces such as teeth grow to normal size in teratomas, or are they usually of abnormal dimensions? I have read of rare cases where (at least partially formed) jawbones were found in the tumor, but how much do they resemble the actual, functional body parts of the patient?

Biology news on Phys.org
Based on the way you asked your question I'm guessing that terms like germ layer and gastrulation are not going to help.

Yes, some "organs" or tissues found to out of place (in teratomas) can look "normal". But out of place tissues and organs cannot "function" in the sense they ordinarily would. And really large teratomas are generally fatal. The embryo does not develop and dies. Or dies soon after birth.

What question are you really asking?

Oh I know they don't function and can be fatal. I'm just wondering about the size of teeth and jawbones in teratomas. Are they the same size of regular teeth and jawbones, or do they tend to be smaller/larger, or may they grow to any random size? I'm asking independently of the tumor in/from which they grow. Finding a picture of a tooth in a tumor is quite easy but I don't get a sense of dimension.

A lot of those things are embryonic sized, smaller than than "normal". I'm not an expert on this kind of thing, just basing it on what I've seen in medical museums like the one at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. I never saw a full-sized jaw, for example.

1. What is a teratoma?

A teratoma is a type of tumor that can contain multiple types of tissues, including hair, teeth, and muscle. They are typically found in the ovaries, testes, or coccyx, but can also occur in other parts of the body.

2. What is the size range of pieces found in teratomas?

The size of pieces found in teratomas can vary greatly, ranging from a few millimeters to several centimeters. Some teratomas can even reach sizes of up to 20 centimeters or larger.

3. Can the size of pieces in a teratoma determine its malignancy?

No, the size of pieces in a teratoma does not determine its malignancy. Teratomas can be either benign or malignant, and the size of pieces is not a determining factor.

4. How do scientists study the size of pieces in teratomas?

Scientists study the size of pieces in teratomas through various methods, such as imaging techniques like ultrasound, MRI, or CT scans. They may also analyze tissue samples from the teratoma to determine the size of individual pieces.

5. Is there a relationship between the size of pieces in a teratoma and its symptoms?

There is no direct relationship between the size of pieces in a teratoma and its symptoms. However, larger teratomas may cause more severe symptoms or complications due to their size and location within the body.