Term Paper: Is the brain immunologically privileged?

In summary, the conversation centers around a student seeking help with their term paper on whether the brain is immunologically privileged. Suggestions are given to focus on the blood brain barrier and its role in brain cancer and diseases like Alzheimer's. The conversation also mentions the use of boron neutron capture therapy to bypass the blood brain barrier. Resources are provided for further research on the topic.
Wek
Term Paper: "Is the brain immunologically privileged?"

I have to write a term paper for my neuroscience class and the theme is "Is the brain immunologically privileged?". According to my professor I have a pretty nice introduction that explains the anatomical aspects of the brain that makes it immunologically privileged but he told me I needed some more work using research papers.

My question is: what do you guys think I could/should focus on (topic-wise)? I'm don't really know what else I can talk about that will demonstrate the brain is immunologically privileged.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Ooohh, I have an idea. Are we talking blood brain barrier, etc.?

You could do a topic on brain cancer and the effectiveness of treatments due to the BBB?

~Ibrahim~

Yes, the paper is basically about the BBB.

That's actually a great topic. I was also thinknig about talking how Alzhimer's and some other diseases are involved wit the breakdown of the BBB.

:)

Ooh, yeah. :D Those sound good!

I did a project on boron neutron capture therapy a while back (it was legit made awesome by none other than folks here at PF!) and it was a way to bypass the blood brain barrier. Definitely very interesting stuff. Are you at a college? If so, you probably have a subscription to Academic Search Premier/EBSCOHost which has a good amount of science articles; I mean, it's probably not enough for some junior/senior-level stuff, but for most other stuff it's perfect. Here's an article I used:

http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=22436818&site=ehost-live

~Ibrahim~

Wek said:
My question is: what do you guys think I could/should focus on (topic-wise)? I'm don't really know what else I can talk about that will demonstrate the brain is immunologically privileged.

Why demonstrate it rather than discuss how it affects medical treatments for diseases of the brain?

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S105532070700083X [Broken]

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/405662_3

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/405662_6

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the concept of immunological privilege in the brain?

The concept of immunological privilege in the brain refers to the unique ability of the brain to regulate and suppress immune responses. This is due to the presence of the blood-brain barrier, which restricts the entry of immune cells and molecules into the brain tissue.

Why is the brain considered to be immunologically privileged?

The brain is considered to be immunologically privileged because of its physical and biochemical barriers that protect it from the immune system. These barriers include the blood-brain barrier, which prevents the entry of immune cells, and the lack of lymphatic vessels, which limits the circulation of immune cells in the brain.

Can the brain be affected by immune responses?

Yes, although the brain is considered to be immunologically privileged, it can still be affected by immune responses. In certain conditions such as autoimmune diseases, infections, or injuries, the immune system can become activated in the brain, leading to inflammation and damage.

What is the role of microglia in the brain's immunological privilege?

Microglia are the resident immune cells in the brain and play a crucial role in maintaining the brain's immunological privilege. They are responsible for detecting and responding to any immune threats in the brain, and they also help regulate the immune response to prevent excessive inflammation and damage.

How does the concept of immunological privilege in the brain impact neurological diseases?

The concept of immunological privilege in the brain has important implications for understanding and treating neurological diseases. It explains why certain diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, affect the brain and spinal cord but not other parts of the body. It also highlights the need for developing targeted therapies that can bypass the brain's protective barriers to treat brain disorders effectively.