Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminal velocity and drag force in one dimention

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    In one dimentional cases, will the velocity of a particle tend to the terminal velocity unregardless of any combinations of forces?
    I try to investigate this equation: mv'+bv=F(t)
    Using the mathematics theorem at the botton, I found that v --> F(c)/m as t tends to infinity. (where c is some constant)

[Thm: if w(x) and u(x) are continuous functions and u(x)>=0, then for a<=x<=b, then {w(x)u(x)}:b,a=w(c)*{u(x)}:b,a for some c lies between a and b]
    the notation {f(x)}:b,a represents the definite integral from a to b with repect to x. Sorry for the unusual notation, as I don't know how to type the integral.

Sorry for the poor presentation too. I intended to write the result on a piece of paper and scan it into the computer but my scanner is out of order now.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2
    Looks fine to me if the theorem is correct. How are you going to determine the value of c?
  4. Sep 11, 2008 #3
    Oh yeah. I neglect that the upper and lower limit in the thm should be constants.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?