Terminal Velocity of a ping pong ball

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a problem involving calculating the speed of falling objects using Euler's Method. The conversation discusses the use of ODEs and kinematics equations to solve the problem. The individuals also discuss using a computer program or spreadsheet to make the calculations easier. Finally, they provide a formula to use in the spreadsheet to accurately calculate the velocity of the falling object.
phil ess

Homework Statement

get_question_imagephp2.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a complete loss here. Part A was simple enough, and I calculated a terminal velocity of 28 m/s for the ping pong ball and 34 m/s for the golf ball. But I don't even know how to begin Part B. Wikipedia says that Euler's Method is for solving ODE's, which I don't think is first-year material. In any case, I don't even see where time comes from in v(t), here's what I tried:

Fnet = Fg + Fdrag
ma = mg - 0.5pv2AC

Then trying to figure time in somewhere: a = v/t

mv/t = mg - 0.5pv2AC

Then isolate v? Now i have a v(t) function I guess but i guarantee this isn't what I'm supposed to be doing! Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the speed at any time you just need to know how much it has acclerated, which depends on the forces acting on it = weight down and drag up. But the drag depends on the speed and so you are back to step 1.
You could write an ODE describing the accleration and solve it analytically - but as you said this might not be first year work.

Euler's method is really just calculus by spreadsheet.
For each small increments of t (eg 0.1s) just calculate what the speed is at the end of that time and then what the drag is for that speed. Then use that drag to calculate the force for the next 0.1 seconds and so the speed and so on.

Hint - at time=0 there is no speed and so no drag.

Check your math for the terminal velocity of the ping pong ball in part A. I think you may have missed the decimal place in its mass (you may have used 25 g instead of 2.5 g).

For part B, you seem to be on the right track using Fnet = Fg + Fdrag

I would divide through by mass to get anet = ag + Fdrag / m

Then apply this to vfinal = a * t {use vinitial to determine acceleration, where vinitial = vfinal from the previous iteration.

Can you use a computer program for Euler's Method? Either a simple program or even a spreadsheet program will make this fairly easy to compute. Otherwise this may be fairly tedious by hand.

Ok here's the equation for acceleration of the falling ball, if down is positive:

a = g − CρA/2m * v2

So I'm in Excel now, and I'm supposed to use deltaT = 0.1s.

So what I did was this (note the calculation bar to see what i did):
Untitled-1.jpg

Now from my Vterm calculation I expect this to approach v = 8.9 m/s (thanks StoveBolt), but it breaks down badly for some reason. the way its calculated is as follows:

CρA/2m = 0.125206285 <-- that's where that comes from

Then multiplying that by v2 from the previous interval

Subtract this from g = 9.81

multiply by the current time interval as in v = a/t.

What am I doing wrong here? I'm still kind of confused so please be patient!

phil ess said:
Ok here's the equation for acceleration of the falling ball, if down is positive:

a = g − CρA/2m * v2

So I'm in Excel now, and I'm supposed to use deltaT = 0.1s.

So what I did was this (note the calculation bar to see what i did):
Untitled-1.jpg

Now from my Vterm calculation I expect this to approach v = 8.9 m/s (thanks StoveBolt), but it breaks down badly for some reason. the way its calculated is as follows:

CρA/2m = 0.125206285 <-- that's where that comes from

Then multiplying that by v2 from the previous interval

Subtract this from g = 9.81

multiply by the current time interval as in v = a/t.

What am I doing wrong here? I'm still kind of confused so please be patient!

Try adjusting the spreadsheet using this formula:
Vfinal = Vinitial + a * t

Remember, for each step you are only multiplying by the delta t of 0.1 seconds.

Let me know if you still have any trouble after this.

I see what you're doing, but regular kinematics equations only work with constant acceleration, and here that's not the case. Acceleration also changes depending on the speed, which is where I am having trouble. I'm not sure which speed values to use for each specific time interval.

You assume that over the small time (0.1s) the acceleration is constant. So you can calculate the change in speed over the time interval.

phil ess said:
I see what you're doing, but regular kinematics equations only work with constant acceleration, and here that's not the case. Acceleration also changes depending on the speed, which is where I am having trouble. I'm not sure which speed values to use for each specific time interval.

Regular kinematics equations do work in this case. This is where Euler's Method comes in handy - you assume constant acceleration over each small time interval. This allows you to use a close estimation of the velocity to compensate for the changing acceleration due to increases in drag. You may not get the exact answer, but you will come very close.

Allow me to clarify:

Using the formula:
Vfinal = Vinitial + a*t,

substituting
a = (9.81 - 0.125206*Vinitial2)
t = 0.1
Vinitial = Vfinal from each preceding step.

For each time interval,

Vfinal = Vinitial + (9.81 - 0.125206*Vinitial2)*0.1

Try it out and see.:wink:

What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity is equal to the drag force exerted by the fluid on the object.

How is terminal velocity calculated?

The terminal velocity of an object can be calculated using the equation Vt = √(2mg/ρACd), where Vt is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient, which depends on the shape and size of the object.

Why does the size of a ping pong ball affect its terminal velocity?

The size of a ping pong ball affects its terminal velocity because the drag force exerted by the air on the ball is directly proportional to its cross-sectional area. This means that a larger ping pong ball will experience a greater drag force and therefore reach its terminal velocity at a lower speed than a smaller ping pong ball.

How does the density of air affect the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball?

The density of air affects the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball because it is a factor in the calculation of terminal velocity. As air density increases, the terminal velocity of the ball decreases because there is more resistance to its motion.

What other factors can affect the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball?

Other factors that can affect the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball include the shape of the ball (which affects the drag coefficient), the air pressure, and the temperature and humidity of the air. Additionally, external forces such as air currents or spin on the ball can also impact its terminal velocity.