Can You Solve This Tricky Equation Without Pen and Paper?

• Thread starter tehno
  • Start date
In summary: Which encompasses less than 1% of the world's population, I assume (I have the phrase "Less than 1% of the worlds population has an IQ over 135" in my head but I am not sure if that's correct. The picture looks valid in my head though!).I wonder of there's a timeline for the test. I might be able to get a few of them with enough time.There was never a time limit given (as far as i know) but I presume when it was used you'd get a reasonable amount of time 2-3h or something.The Haselbauer-Dickheiser test was designed to test intelligence in the range of 180 and greater.
tehno
bet you many of you can't figure this one out.
don't rush with your conclusion.
the solution is not what you may think at first glance.

Attachments

• net.jpg
    net.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 912
Physics news on Phys.org
tehno said:
bet you many of you can't figure this one out.
don't rush with your conclusion.
the solution is not what you may think at first glance.

Could you post a link to somewhere other than the physics forums? I know many of us can't actually see attachment files on the site for whatever reason...

DaveE

Yea, I can't see the attachment files either-- it's only seems to be in the brainteasers forum though... strange!

It's to preserve bandwidth issues I suspect. Otherwise, everyone would bog down the server if there were tons of attachments being viewed from physicsforums. I believe those who sponsor the forums have those priveleges.

I always presumed it was more of a censorship/monitoring issue - ensuring nothing nasty was attached. Never followed through on the logic of that though.

complexPHILOSOPHY said:
It's to preserve bandwidth issues I suspect. Otherwise, everyone would bog down the server if there were tons of attachments being viewed from physicsforums. I believe those who sponsor the forums have those priveleges.

It seems a bit strange that only one subforum has the attachments only viewable to PF contributors though.

DaveC426913 said:
I always presumed it was more of a censorship/monitoring issue - ensuring nothing nasty was attached. Never followed through on the logic of that though.

All attachments must be approved, but before they have been approved , the attachment says "attachment pending approval" and doesn't provide a clickable link.

I think I'll ask about this in the feedback forum, since I thought I was just me that this happened to!

Last edited:
The attach is still on pending.Patience people.

Anyway first guess at the answer, KBI?

DaveC426913 said:
The encryption on p9? (Jeez, do these guys ever not know how to format a document!)

Yeah I was wondering whether people would get that question 8 or if i should post the page number.

Kurdt said:
Anyway first guess at the answer, KBI?
Wrong.
:confused: :zzz:

cristo said:
Yea, I can't see the attachment files either-- it's only seems to be in the brainteasers forum though... strange!
Yeah,I've always had a feeling that this part of PF is the crapiest one.
:smile:

Last edited:
The questions and diagrams in the PDF from that link are ridiculous!

Are you guys good at answering this stuff? I don't even know where to start with half of these.

Guess: LJK

complexPHILOSOPHY said:

Are you guys good at answering this stuff? I don't even know where to start with half of these.

No wonder it's a test for exceptional intelligence. :tongue:

complexPHILOSOPHY said:

The Haselbauer-Dickheiser test was designed to test intelligence in the range of 180 and greater.

I wonder of there's a timeline for the test. I might be able to get a few of them with enough time.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
I wonder of there's a timeline for the test. I might be able to get a few of the visual ones (such as #1 or 2) with enough time.

There was never a time limit given (as far as i know) but I presume when it was used you'd get a reasonable amount of time 2-3h or something.

Kurdt said:
The Haselbauer-Dickheiser test was designed to test intelligence in the range of 180 and greater.

Which encompasses less than 1% of the world's population, I assume (I have the phrase "Less than 1% of the worlds population has an IQ over 135" in my head but I am not sure if that's correct. The picture looks valid in my head though!).

How many get over 180?

The answer is JGD. The primary sort is on the number or intersections or crossings, and secondary sorting is reverse-alphabetic order.

I rather enjoyed #21. Took me only 20 minutes. I did it formally (i.e using arithmetic algebra, no guessing or measuring).

I've seen #23 before but no matter how I tried, I never found a solution.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
The answer is JGD. The primary sort is on the number or intersections or crossings, and secondary sorting is reverse-alphabetic order.
Are you referring to #9? The cryptogram?

P.S. I'm not sure we should really be publicly providing the answers here.

Last edited:
These were indeed very interesting problems. Thanks for posting them :)

Kurdt said:

Or those good at maths methinks, I think artists with no formal training in maths with an IQ of 180+ would be screwed by this test.:rofl: IQ tests are so arbitrary. Test creativity: now there's the problem, until you can an IQ test is as meaningless as any of the silly tests posted on this forum: are you a pervert, IQ asks one question, how have you been educated, and do you have inate ability, if we placed genius solely in the realms of IQ 180+ we'd have a very slim field. Feynman to name but one. I'd put him above anyone with an IQ of 180+, because intelligence unapplied is as pointless and arbitrary as a number called IQ. IQ tests are curiosities nothing more nothing less.

I looked at this test and thought why? It's obviously so biased it's unbelievable. How many of you could have done well without your maths training?

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Or those good at maths methinks, I think artists with no formal training in maths with an IQ of 180+ would be screwed by this test.:rofl: IQ tests are so arbitrary. Test creativity: now there's the problem, until you can an IQ test is as meaningless as any of the silly tests posted on this forum: are you a pervert, IQ asks one question, how have you been educated, and do you have inate ability, if we placed genius solely in the realms of IQ 180+ we'd have a very slim field. Feynman to name but one. I'd put him above anyone with an IQ of 180+, because intelligence unapplied is as pointless and arbitrary as a number called IQ. IQ tests are curiosities nothing more nothing less.

I looked at this test and thought why? It's obviously so biased it's unbelievable. How many of you could have done well without your maths training?

Hey I never made the test I merely stated what it claimed it was designed for :smile:

Kurdt said:
Hey I never made the test I merely stated what it claimed it was designed for :smile:
It's poor, let's face it.

If you made Leonardo De Vinci take it he'd score badly or a linguistics genius with no formal maths training or x. It is essentially designed to establish what you already know, that those who are brilliant at maths will do well at it, and few others.

I'm not criticisng the test per se or you, just what you can gleen from doing well at it, essentially your education and ability at maths and little else.

The comparison with the "are you a pervert" test is apposite IMO.

That said it's absolutely perfect for a physics forum.

Last edited:
Whatever it is its an interesting set of puzzles for your spare time.

Kurdt said:
Whatever it is its an interesting set of puzzles for your spare time.

Not for me I don't have the maths skills yet.:smile: that makes me a dunce I guess, but as I said it's perfect for PF.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
If you made Leonardo De Vinci take it he'd score badly or a linguistics genius with no formal maths training or x. It is essentially designed to establish what you already know, that those who are brilliant at maths will do well at it, and few others.
I am not so sure of this.

I haven't come across any actual math that is beyond the basic level. The key to these puzzles is to be resourceful at looking for patterns and dealing with abstractions. The fact that these are representable in mathematical terms does not mean this is all about math.

True, mathematicians use this skill a lot, and I grant that mathematicians will surely have a leg up in this test, but creative types and other clever people will be able to spot these patterns and abstractions too.

DaveC426913 said:
I am not so sure of this.

I haven't come across any actual math that is beyond the basic level. The key to these puzzles is to be resourceful at looking for patterns and dealing with abstractions. The fact that these are representable in mathematical terms does not mean this is all about math.

True, mathematicians use this skill a lot, and I grant that mathematicians will surely have a leg up in this test, but creative types and other clever people will be able to spot these patterns and abstractions too.

indeed it's not as if it's going to make it impossible for the untrained mathemetician to do well it just means it's not completely representative, in the same way as the IQ system tests for a westernised medium. Quite apart from it missing out some key pointers to achievement.

Are you supposed to be allowed pen and paper for #2? It looks just like simultaneous equations, but to attempt it without paper seems a little agonizing.

1. How can you solve an equation without pen and paper?

There are various mental math strategies that can be used to solve equations without using pen and paper. These include breaking down the equation into smaller parts, using estimation and rounding, and using patterns and shortcuts.

2. Is it possible to solve complex equations without pen and paper?

Yes, it is possible to solve complex equations without pen and paper using mental math techniques. However, it may require more practice and skill to solve more difficult equations without any external aids.

3. Can anyone solve an equation without pen and paper?

With practice and the right strategies, anyone can learn to solve equations without pen and paper. It may take some time and effort to develop the necessary skills, but it is achievable for most people.

4. Are there any benefits to solving equations without pen and paper?

Yes, solving equations without pen and paper can improve mental math skills and increase problem-solving abilities. It can also be a useful skill to have in situations where pen and paper are not readily available.

5. What are some tips for solving equations without pen and paper?

Some tips for solving equations without pen and paper include breaking down the equation into smaller parts, using estimation and rounding, and looking for patterns and shortcuts. It is also helpful to practice regularly to improve mental math skills.