Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminology for rotating shaft with blades?

  1. Mar 18, 2016 #1
    Technical terminology: what’s it called? A cylindrical shaft which rotates in a fluid medium and carries a set of radially-arranged blades (?splines) attached by hinges. The blades fold flat against the shaft when it rotates in one direction (say clockwise) but they sweep out automatically to resist rotation in the opposite direction (counterclockwise). Viewed from either end it would look like a spiral galaxy, rotating smoothly in one direction but not in the opposite direction.

    No hard data (only hypothesis), but any help with terminology would be greatly appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2016 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    It sounds a bit like a one-way clutch.
    Maybe the application gives it a name.
  4. Mar 18, 2016 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Feathering paddle wheel as found on old steamships . Can be self acting or have a driving mechanism .
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted