Terminology in rotational kinematics: distance vs displacement

In summary, the angular displacement is the difference between the angular position at one end of the rotation and the angular position at the other end of the rotation. This difference can be more than one revolution.
JeanJean
I'm trying to learn some physics on my own, using the internet as my main source of information.
Now, I'm a bit confused about some terminology, and I can't find anything about it...

Distance vs displacement in rotational kinematics!

Is there a similar difference as in linear kinematics?

If a wheel turns 2.5 revolutions, would it be:
distance = 2.5 rev
displacement = 0.5 rev

Thank you for your help :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your understanding is correct. Even if one rarely uses the idea of "distance" in rotational kinematics, and the "displacement" is usually simply "the angle".

voko said:
Your understanding is correct. Even if one rarely uses the idea of "distance" in rotational kinematics, and the "displacement" is usually simply "the angle".
Isn't the angular displacement = 2.5 rev ?

Any displacement is the difference between some start and some end position. Even though there can be a kazillion revolutions done in between.

voko said:
Any displacement is the difference between some start and some end position. Even though there can be a kazillion revolutions done in between.

My understanding is that the angular position at the end will reflect the number of revolutions.

If, for example, you use the equations for constant angular accceleration, the angular displacement can easily be more than 1 revolution.

This is complicated by the ambiguity in the angular position. Add ## 2 \pi ## to any position, it is still the same position.

The difference between angular distance and angular displacement is most obvious when the body under consideration never makes a complete revolution but goes back in forth.

voko said:
This is complicated by the ambiguity in the angular position. Add ## 2 \pi ## to any position, it is still the same position.
This would appear to be clear, but if you're using the equations for constant angular acceleration you have a problem.
For example, let
Δθ = (1.0 rev/s)t
For any t>1s, the angular displacement must be >1.0rev

I see it is all a matter of interpretation and/or definition...

But... isn't there some 'official definition' ?
How is this taught in school ?

1. What is the difference between distance and displacement in rotational kinematics?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object in a rotational motion, while displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final positions of the object. In other words, distance measures the entire path taken by the object, while displacement measures the change in position.

2. How are distance and displacement related in rotational kinematics?

Distance and displacement are related in that both are measurements of an object's motion in a rotational context. However, they differ in the way they are calculated and the information they provide. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

3. Can distance be greater than displacement in rotational kinematics?

Yes, distance can be greater than displacement in rotational kinematics. This can occur if the object travels along a curved path or if it changes direction multiple times. In such cases, the distance traveled will be longer than the displacement between the initial and final positions.

4. How is displacement represented in rotational kinematics?

Displacement in rotational kinematics is commonly represented by the symbol Δθ (delta theta), where theta is the angle of rotation. It is also sometimes represented by the symbol d, or by the vector notation Δr, where r is the position vector.

5. Why is displacement a more useful measure than distance in rotational kinematics?

Displacement is a more useful measure than distance in rotational kinematics because it provides information about the direction of an object's motion. This is important in understanding how the object is moving and how it is changing its position relative to the initial reference point. Distance, on the other hand, only tells us the total length traveled, without considering the direction of motion.