1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminology issue regarding modules and representations

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a field F, FS4 is a group algebra... we have a representation X that maps FS4 to 3x3 matrices over (presumably) F. Let V denote the FS4 module corresponding to X..... do stuff. My question is, what the heck is V supposed to be?

I assumed that V is F3, but that seemingly contradicts what the question wants me to do. So is V the free module of the representation of FS4 over itself (and then why bother having a representation)? I can't think of what else it could be

The full question can be found at

sheet 5, question 3

EDIT: I was wrong... if V=F3 the question's conclusion is correct. For some reason I was associating the 4 in S4 with F instead, and thought it had characteristic 4... I noticed my error when I realized a) it has characteristic 0 b) 4 isn't the characteristic of a field. Good job by me wasting an hour working in a non-existent field
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well the representation gives us a homomorphism from S_4 into GL(F^3). The induced action of the algebra FS_4 on F^3 induces an FS_4-module structure on F^3. So yes, V=F^3.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?