Terminology - the upper state

In summary, the conversation discusses the terminology "upper state" and the variable "N2" in a formula for an absorption coefficient in relation to radiative transfer. The "upper state" refers to the higher-energy state and "N2" represents the number density of atoms in that state. It is not related to the number of electrons in the outer shell. The formula deals with transitions between two states in an atom and the "number density of atoms in the upper state" refers to the amount of atoms in that excited state.
Paperfish
Terminology - the "upper state"

Hi there!

I'm reading a paper at the moment that describes a formula for an absorption coefficient with regard to radiative transfer. One of the variables in it is referred to as "N2". It describes N2 as "The number density of atoms in the upper state".

With oxygen as an example, would N2 simply refer to the number of atoms in the outer shell? ie: 6?

My apologies if this is a bit obvious. I'm afraid I'm new to all this, and this terminology doesn't immediately appear to be standard.

Physics news on Phys.org
Paperfish said:
With oxygen as an example, would N2 simply refer to the number of atoms in the outer shell? ie: 6?
How many atoms are there in an atom?

Paperfish said:
formula for an absorption coefficient with regard to radiative transfer
So it is considering the transition between two states. The "upper state" then refers to the higher-energy state, and N2 is related to how many atoms are to found in that excited state at a given time.

My post finally gets a reply after 7 years, and it's revealed to not make sense. Amazing! Apologies, for that typo, it was meant to read:

"With oxygen as an example, would N2 simply refer to the number of electrons in the outer shell? ie: 6?"

And just to check, when you say "...and N2 is related to how many atoms are to found in that excited state at a given time", you do mean atoms and not electrons?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Paperfish said:
My post finally gets a reply after 7 years,
We're doing some spring cleaning:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-spring-cleaning.970133/
Paperfish said:
and it's revealed to not make sense. Amazing! Apologies, for that typo, it was meant to read:

"With oxygen as an example, would N2 simply refer to the number of electrons in the outer shell? ie: 6?"
No, this has nothing to do with electron shells.

Paperfish said:
And just to check, when you say "...and N2 is related to how many atoms are to found in that excited state at a given time", you do mean atoms and not electrons?
Yes, atoms. Not all the context was given, by I inferred that this deals with transitions between two states in an atom. The "number density of atoms in the upper state" refers to how many atoms are found in that upper (excited) state (it is not a single atom that is considered,but an ensemble of atoms, some will be in the lower state, some in the upper state).

Thank you so much for revisiting this and clarifying.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the upper state in terminology?

The upper state in terminology refers to the highest level or category of a particular term or concept. It is often used to describe a more general or overarching term that encompasses several more specific terms.

2. How is the upper state determined in terminology?

The upper state in terminology is typically determined through a process of classification and hierarchy. This involves organizing terms into categories and subcategories, with the upper state being the highest level of categorization.

3. What is the purpose of the upper state in terminology?

The purpose of the upper state in terminology is to provide a framework for organizing and understanding complex concepts. It allows for easier navigation and retrieval of information, and can also aid in standardization and communication within a specific field or industry.

4. Can the upper state change in terminology?

Yes, the upper state in terminology can change over time as new terms and concepts are introduced or existing ones are redefined. This is a natural process as language and understanding evolve, and it is important to regularly review and update the upper state in order to maintain accuracy and relevance.

5. How does the upper state differ from the lower state in terminology?

The upper state and lower state in terminology are two opposite ends of a hierarchical structure. While the upper state represents a broader, more general term, the lower state refers to more specific, detailed terms. The lower state is typically nested within the upper state and provides more specific information or examples related to the overarching concept.