1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminology (what constitutes an undergrad institution)

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    I did a search on google but I was coming up with some mixed answers. I wanted to apply to this REU program and it said it was for students who are attending undergraduate institution. My two questions are the following:

Are community colleges considered undergraduate institutions?
    Is a community college student considered an undergraduate?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Usually it means that you're enrolled in a bachelor's degree program at an institution that can award that degree. If you're just taking courses that will count "towards a bachelor's degree" at a community college, that may not be recognized.

Your best bet is to contact the administators of the program to see if you qualify under your specific circumstances.

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    Alright, thank you.

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I disagree. I would consider a student at a Community (or Junior) an undergraduate. I do, of course, that the best thing to do would be to contact the administrators.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook