Testing a 100lbf Jet Engine: Blast Shields

In summary: I'll have to do more research to see if any of those ideas would be feasible.In summary, the researcher is asking for advice on building a blast shield for a jet engine. The safest option is to surround the engine with sandbags, but research suggests that Lexan shields may not be effective. A dig pit or spinning the engine to its design speed may be better options.
btbam91
Hey guys. As the title reads, I am a part of a research project and we will soon be testing a 100lbf jet engine. We take safety very seriously and want to take all the proper precautions in order to ensure everybody involved will come out of the experimentafely in case something goes wrong.

With that said, I am aware that the safest thing you can do is to stand as far away as possible. A blast shield is not to be relied upon as the sole source of protection in case a jet engine explodes. At high a RPM, the amount of kinetic energy in those blades is fatal.

So I am asking for advice on building blast shields. From my limited research thus far, I see that some are made of Lexan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan

Thank you everybody!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I wouldn't play around with Lexan. A couple of layers of sandbags completely surrounding the engine would probably be about right. (NOTE: THAT IS NOT TO BE TAKEN AS LEGAL ADVICE ON SAFETY!)

If you want to see what's going on inside the sandbags, small video cameras are cheap and expendable.

You can't easily contain anything that wants to come out of the front or back of the engine (e.g. because of a broken rotor or failed bearings) without messing up the air flow, but at least that debris will travel more or less in a straight line ... UNTIL IT HITS THE GROUND STILL SPINNING AT 50,000 RPM, and/or bits start falling off it while it is still in free flight.

In real life, you would want to spin the rotor(s) up to their design speed to check their integrity before you try running the engine under its own power. But remember the engine hasn't read your calcs on what its design speed ought to be, so it might have other ideas about how fast it wants to run...

Sandbags, or dig a pit in the soil. Do NOT rely on a plastic.

Thanks for the replies guys. You have definitely put some ideas into my head.

1. How do you measure the thrust of a 100lbf jet engine?

To measure the thrust of a jet engine, we use a device called a thrust stand. This stand is equipped with load cells that can accurately measure the force produced by the engine. We then use this data to calculate the thrust of the engine in pounds or newtons.

2. Why are blast shields necessary when testing a jet engine?

Blast shields are necessary when testing a jet engine because they provide protection from the high-speed exhaust gases and debris that are produced during testing. These shields also serve as a safety measure to protect nearby equipment and personnel from potential damage or injury.

3. What materials are blast shields typically made of?

Blast shields are typically made of strong and durable materials such as steel, aluminum, or Kevlar. These materials are able to withstand high temperatures and pressures from the jet engine's exhaust without being damaged.

4. How do you ensure the accuracy and reliability of blast shields during testing?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of blast shields during testing, we conduct regular inspections and maintenance to check for any signs of wear or damage. We also use advanced computer simulations to analyze the performance of the shields under various conditions.

5. Can blast shields be reused for multiple tests?

Yes, blast shields can be reused for multiple tests as long as they are still in good condition and meet the necessary safety standards. However, depending on the intensity and duration of the testing, the shields may need to be replaced or repaired over time.