Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing if the momentum operator is Hermitian

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    Hi. I'm not too good at maths and I'm having some trouble figuring out the basics of what to do with complex conjugates of functions.

Our lecturer has set a couple problems requiring us to test if a few operators are Hermitian. Before I can get to those I thought I'd test the basic momentum operator: [tex](\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x})[/tex].

Using integration by parts:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \Psi^\ast(x,t) (\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}) \Psi(x,t) dx = \frac{\hbar}{i} [\Psi^\ast(x,t)\Psi(x,t)]^\infty_{-\infty} - \int_{-\infty}^\infty \Psi(x,t) (\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}) \Psi^\ast(x,t) dx [/tex]

Now how do I deal with the first term? Does it reduce to 0 somehow? I recongnise that the second term should be equal to the LHS for the momentum operator to be shown as Hermitian.

Cheers. Kaan

EDIT: sorry, I found the answer here
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

[itex]\Psi[/itex] must be normalizable, therefore [itex]\Psi^* \Psi[/itex] must go to zero as x goes to infinity in either direction.
  4. Sep 8, 2008 #3
    Yes first term on RHS goes to zero because of the normalization condition on the wavefunction [tex]\Psi(x,t) ->0 [/tex] as [tex] x-> \infty [/tex] ( or [tex] -\infty [/tex] ).

So you're left with:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \Psi^\ast(x,t) (\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}) \Psi(x,t) dx = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \Psi(x,t) (-\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}) \Psi^\ast(x,t) dx [/tex]

Thus the Hermitian condition, [tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \Psi^\ast(x,t) \hat{P} \Psi(x,t) dx = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \Psi(x,t) \hat{P^\ast} \Psi^\ast(x,t) dx [/tex]

is satisified since the conjugate of the momentum operator is just minus the momentum operator.
  5. Nov 5, 2009 #4
    Is this a valid proof?

Given an arbitrary ket [tex]|a\rangle[/tex]:

[tex]\langle a|\hat{\textbf{p}}a\rangle[/tex]

[tex]=\langle \hat{\textbf{p}}^{\dagger}a|a\rangle[/tex]

If [itex]\hat{\textbf{p}}[/itex] is Hermitian, then

[tex]\langle \hat{\textbf{p}}^{\dagger}a|a\rangle = \langle \hat{\textbf{p}}a|a\rangle[/tex]

[tex]=\left(\langle a|\hat{\textbf{p}}a\rangle\right)^{*}[/tex]
  6. Nov 5, 2009 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't assume P is hermitean, you have to prove such thing ! You can't prove it in the abstract Dirac language. You must choose a Hilbert space. Define the operators and only then check for properties such as continuity/boundedness, hermiticity, unitarity, etc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?