Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing multiple linear restrictions

1. Sep 7, 2010 #1
    If I have 4 variables in my multiple regression and I'm told to test whether one is significant, and 3 others are not what would I do with the one left over?

I thought it would be easy as I could just test whether for H0: variable 1>0, variable 2,3 =0

But what if I'm told to restrict variable 1 so that under H0 it must =1?

If you think about it variable cannot = 1 unless there is no contribution from variable 4 (which I'm told I must "take into account"). This is because my Y variable has a maximum value of 100 and my variable 1 also has a maximum value of 100.

By forcing variable=1 I'm saying that the whole of the change in Y is caused by variable 1. But we have already agreed that variable 4 is a contributer. So how do I "take it into account" when building a restricted and unrestricted model?

If I exclude variable 4 from both the restricted and unrestricted than variable 1 won't be equal to 1, and if I include it won't be = 1 either!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2
    Allow me to restate this in better terms...

I have 3 variables in an oversimplified model. Wealth, Divert, Race.
    So that Y = a function of Beta1*(Wealth) + Beta2*(Divert) + Beta3*(Race).

My Y variable ranges from 0-100. Beta1 also varies from 0-100. I'm trying to test whether Wealth is 100% responsible AND that race does not matter for the variation in Y, after taking into account the variable "Divert". I'm going to construct a restricted and unrestricted model and then conduct an F-test.

Would it make sense for me to setup the null hypothesis thus:

(H-0) is: Beta1=1-Beta2, Beta3=0
    H-1 would be: Beta 1 ≠ 1-Beta2 and / or Beta3≠0.

I was told I could also use:
    set null (H-0) as: Beta1=1, Beta3=0
    H-1 would be: Beta 1 ≠ 1 and / or Beta3≠0.

But this doesn't make any sense to me as if we want to account for "Divert" then it is silly to test for Beta1=1. Beta1 will not equal one if "Divert" contributes to the regression, it will only equal the variation in Y which is unexplained by "Divert" (1-Divert).

Is my thinking correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook