Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing photoheterotrophic, autotrophic and fermentation of R.rubrum?

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    I need to test photoheteretrophic, autotrophic and fermentation growth of R.rubrum bacteria, all of which require anaerobic conditions. For fermentation, i am placing the bacteria with fructose in the dark, and for phototrophic in the light with fructose, and for autotrophic in the light with nothing. How should I do this to get some quantitative data??

How do I get anaerobic conditions,and how should i test this?, please help :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you considered serial dilution and spread plating?
    Have you considered http://ftp.ccccd.edu/dcain/CCCCD%20Micro/gaspakjar.htm" [Broken] culture?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jun 12, 2009 #3
    Thanks. Unfortunately our school has no equipment such as the GasPak you mentioned :frown:
    However :smile:, the bacteria were put in test-tubes filled with sterile water, then covered with oil. Hopefully things will work out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook