Testing which vitamins work best?

In summary, my girlfriend suggested a way to test the absorption of vitamins by mixing them with certain chemicals to mimic the acidity of the stomach. However, the process of absorption is more complex and some vitamins may not dissolve well in the stomach but rather in the lower GI tract. It is important for a good quality vitamin pill to dissolve in the stomach. Additionally, even if vitamins are absorbed, there is still the issue of retention as many of the compounds are excreted through urine shortly after consumption. This is why some people argue that taking vitamins is a waste of money.
KingNothing
My girlfriend and I were talking, and she said that a way to tell if a vitamin is absorbed or not, is to mix a few different chemicals (can't remember what), and to see how the vitamin dissolves in this mixture. She said that it's because this mixture will have the same acidity as your stomach.

Does this make sense to you? I didn't think dissolution was about acidity at all. So, I'm looking for input on this.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well I guess it would matter on what you are looking for (in terms of works best). I mean all of the vitamins have their specific effects. So, I don't really understand what you mean by "works best".

This is exactly the way in which many pharmaceuticals are analyzed for dissolution. Remember that absorption is more complicated than that, however. Some vitamins are fat soluble and may not dissolve in the stomach very well but will dissolve lower in the GI tract. A good quality vitamin pill should fall apart in the stomach in my opinion. Absorption can occur anywhere in the GI tract, though.

As a side note: assume vitamins are absorbed, then you have the issue of retention.

You may have noticed that urine becomes darker yellow after consuming vitamins.
This is because a lot of the compounds you got in the pill are out of your system again in an hour or two. No retention.

Physicians who think vitamins are wasteful, sometimes talk about urinating away money.

1. What is the purpose of testing which vitamins work best?

The purpose of this type of testing is to determine which vitamins have the most beneficial effects on our health and which ones are the most effective at preventing and treating certain illnesses or deficiencies.

2. How is the effectiveness of vitamins measured in these tests?

In these tests, the effectiveness of vitamins is measured through various methods such as clinical trials, laboratory studies, and observation of their impact on specific health markers or conditions.

3. What factors are taken into consideration when conducting these tests?

Some of the factors that are taken into consideration when conducting these tests include the dosage and form of the vitamin, the participants' age and health status, and any potential interactions with other medications or supplements.

4. How do researchers ensure accurate and reliable results in these tests?

To ensure accurate and reliable results, researchers use rigorous scientific methods, control groups, and statistical analysis to minimize bias and account for any outside factors that may affect the outcome of the tests.

5. Can the results of these tests be applied to everyone?

While the results of these tests can provide valuable insights, it is important to note that they may not necessarily apply to every individual. Factors such as genetics, lifestyle, and overall health can play a role in how our bodies respond to different vitamins. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before making any changes to your vitamin regimen.