1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Texas A&M or Texas Tech Honors for undergraduate?

1. Oct 11, 2015 #1
    I have the opportunity to attend both universities. Obviously Texas a&m is a more respected college on the face value, but what about the Tech honors college? Does that change the 'prestige' and chance of graduate school admissions?

Also, Is it better to have a higher GPA at a less prestigious institution or vice versa?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Prestige doesn't get you into grad school.

If you can't get a high GPA at any undergraduate institution, grad school will prove difficult.

4. Oct 11, 2015 #3
    So why shouldn't I go to UT Permian Basin and get a full ride?

5. Oct 11, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why not indeed.

6. Oct 11, 2015 #5
    Sorry, I'm a bit lost. Many people have given me many different forms of advice. I am enrolling in the Spring and am therefore limited in my options. I've heard that many of the smaller schools seem to usually lack the research opportunities that are looked at by graduate schools & many of the graduates struggle due to insufficient preparation.

Due to my circumstances I am stuck between these two colleges (Tech Honors college & Texas A&M) and would just like to make the best decision. The folks at Tech would give me priority class choices and first chances at research, but the staff at A&M pointed out many classes that Tech's program is 'missing' that grad schools would look for. (Advanced/ Quantum Mech II, Exptl. Phys). Overall the A&M curriculum seems more intense also more tight.

I am genuinely stuck in the middle and any advice would be appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook