Texas A&M or Texas Tech honors college for undergraduate physics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Trippsapientae
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I have the opportunity to attend both universities. Obviously Texas a&m is a more respected college on the face value, but what about the Tech honors college? Does that change the 'prestige' and chance of graduate school admissions?

Also, Is it better to have a higher GPA at a less prestigious institution or vice versa?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Prestige doesn't get you into grad school.

If you can't get a high GPA at any undergraduate institution, grad school will prove difficult.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
Prestige doesn't get you into grad school.

If you can't get a high GPA at any undergraduate institution, grad school will prove difficult.
So why shouldn't I go to UT Permian Basin and get a full ride?
 
Trippsapientae said:
So why shouldn't I go to UT Permian Basin and get a full ride?

Why not indeed.
 
Sorry, I'm a bit lost. Many people have given me many different forms of advice. I am enrolling in the Spring and am therefore limited in my options. I've heard that many of the smaller schools seem to usually lack the research opportunities that are looked at by graduate schools & many of the graduates struggle due to insufficient preparation.

Due to my circumstances I am stuck between these two colleges (Tech Honors college & Texas A&M) and would just like to make the best decision. The folks at Tech would give me priority class choices and first chances at research, but the staff at A&M pointed out many classes that Tech's program is 'missing' that grad schools would look for. (Advanced/ Quantum Mech II, Exptl. Phys). Overall the A&M curriculum seems more intense also more tight.

I am genuinely stuck in the middle and any advice would be appreciated.