Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbooks that cover plane mirror waveguides

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    Anyone know of an E&M textbook that covers plane mirror waveguides in any reasonable detail?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doesn't Jackson do this? He covers perfectly conducting waveguides, which are the same thing as mirrors, I believe...

4. Mar 31, 2009 #3
    I checked Jackson, section 8.2, and he covers rectangular waveguides. However, I'm looking for a treatment of a waveguide consisting of two infinite conducting sheets. Am I looking in the wrong section?

Thanks for your help.

5. Mar 31, 2009 #4
    Pozar, Microwave Engineering, discusses these (for finite width). See also Jackson problem 8.3.

Not sure of a treatment for infinite width, if that is what you mean.

6. Apr 1, 2009 #5

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just follow the general method Jackson describes, but for your own particular boundary conditions (i.e., infinite extent in one direction).

Also, you might try looking up cylindrical wave expansions. I don't know if Jackson covers that. But you should be able to express your answer simply in terms of complex exponentials in the z direction (to satisfy boundary conditions on the plates), and cylindrical waves in the radial direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook