Proof that velocity of image by a plane mirror is negative of object

Rhdjfgjgj
Homework Statement
proof that velocity of image by a plane mirror is negative of object
Relevant Equations
V of image =-(v of object)
We were studying reflection due to plane mirrors and our sir derived the relation between velocity of image and velocity of object in case of a plane mirror. He took the following case as bare for deriving the formula.
IMG_20231018_192130.jpg

Following is the detailed working
IMG-20231018-WA0012.jpg

Now I was wondering if I could derive it for a different case where the object is moving in opposite direction. But I'm not getting the same result. Look here please
IMG-20231018-WA0013.jpg

Why is it false this case . Or have I done something wrong. Please tell me where I'm wrong and the mathematical concept that I have to get right so that I don't repeat any of the mistakes again. Im sorry if the doubt was a bit to silly

Physics news on Phys.org
Your error is the same as in the first image you posted. That image shows ##V_0## on either side of the mirror, but one of them should be negative as the two are pointing in opposite directions.

Also, your work is very difficult to read, as the image appears rotated. At least the image is legible if I rotate my laptop's screen, which is more than I can say for some images that members post. In your work you wrote that ##\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{dy}{dt}##. This can't be true for the same reason as I gave above.

Mark44 said:
Your error is the same as in the first image you posted. That image shows ##V_0## on either side of the mirror, but one of them should be negative as the two are pointing in opposite directions.

Also, your work is very difficult to read, as the image appears rotated. At least the image is legible if I rotate my laptop's screen, which is more than I can say for some images that members post. In your work you wrote that ##\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{dy}{dt}##. This can't be true for the same reason as I gave above.
Sorry about the images sir, . Back to the problem.
In the first image ,v of image was completely unknown , so I assumed it to be in same direction and found the actual velocity. But doing this way doesn't help me in the second case.Can u please do the steps for the second case

Is this right
IMG-20231018-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20231018-WA0015.jpg

Rhdjfgjgj said:
In the first image ,v of image was completely unknown
In that image, there's no v. There are ##V_0## and ##V_I##.

Rhdjfgjgj said:
so I assumed it to be in same direction and found the actual velocity.
In the same direction as what?

Rhdjfgjgj said:
But doing this way doesn't help me in the second case.

Rhdjfgjgj said:
Can u please do the steps for the second case
No, we are not going to do the steps for you. In the second case, if the object is moving away from the mirror (at the same speed it was moving toward the mirror), its velocity will be the negative of what it was. That is ##V_{new} = -V_0##.

Rhdjfgjgj said:
You are confusing yourself by introducing y in your equations. Instead of x and y, use x and -x. I'm assuming that the two points at the start of the arrows are equidistant from the mirror.

1. How can you prove that the velocity of the image by a plane mirror is the negative of the object?

One way to prove this is by considering the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. By analyzing the geometry of the situation, it can be shown that when an object moves to the right, its image moves to the left at the same speed, resulting in a negative velocity for the image.

2. Is the velocity of the image always negative when the object moves?

Yes, in the case of a plane mirror, the velocity of the image will always be the negative of the object's velocity. This is because the image is a virtual reflection of the object and follows the same path but in the opposite direction.

3. Does the size of the object affect the velocity of the image in a plane mirror?

No, the size of the object does not affect the velocity of the image in a plane mirror. The velocity of the image is solely determined by the velocity of the object and the reflective properties of the mirror.

4. Can the velocity of the image be positive in certain situations?

In the case of a plane mirror, the velocity of the image will always be negative when the object moves. This is a fundamental property of reflection in a plane mirror and will hold true in all situations.

5. How does the distance between the object and the mirror affect the velocity of the image?

The distance between the object and the mirror does not affect the velocity of the image in a plane mirror. As long as the object is moving, the image will move in the opposite direction with the same velocity, regardless of the distance between them.