Textbooks that cover plane mirror waveguides

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an E&M textbook that covers plane mirror waveguides in detail. Jackson's textbook is mentioned as a possible resource, but it only covers rectangular waveguides. Pozar's Microwave Engineering and Jackson's problem 8.3 are suggested as sources for finite width waveguides. For infinite width waveguides, it is recommended to use the general method described by Jackson but with specific boundary conditions, and to look into cylindrical wave expansions.
arunma
Anyone know of an E&M textbook that covers plane mirror waveguides in any reasonable detail?

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't Jackson do this? He covers perfectly conducting waveguides, which are the same thing as mirrors, I believe...

I checked Jackson, section 8.2, and he covers rectangular waveguides. However, I'm looking for a treatment of a waveguide consisting of two infinite conducting sheets. Am I looking in the wrong section?

Thanks for your help.

Pozar, Microwave Engineering, discusses these (for finite width). See also Jackson problem 8.3.

Not sure of a treatment for infinite width, if that is what you mean.

Just follow the general method Jackson describes, but for your own particular boundary conditions (i.e., infinite extent in one direction).

Also, you might try looking up cylindrical wave expansions. I don't know if Jackson covers that. But you should be able to express your answer simply in terms of complex exponentials in the z direction (to satisfy boundary conditions on the plates), and cylindrical waves in the radial direction.

1. What are plane mirror waveguides?

Plane mirror waveguides are optical devices that use a series of parallel mirrors to guide light along a specific path. They are used in optical systems to reflect and transmit light with minimal loss.

2. How do plane mirror waveguides work?

Plane mirror waveguides work by using total internal reflection to reflect light along a specific path. The mirrors are usually coated with a highly reflective material such as aluminum or silver, and the light travels through the waveguide by bouncing off these mirrors.

3. What are the advantages of using plane mirror waveguides?

Plane mirror waveguides offer several advantages, including low loss of light, high reflectivity, and wide bandwidth. They are also compact and can be easily integrated into optical systems.

4. What are some common applications of plane mirror waveguides?

Plane mirror waveguides are commonly used in optical communication systems, laser systems, and optical sensors. They are also used in fiber optic gyros, interferometers, and spectrometers.

5. Are there any limitations to using plane mirror waveguides?

One limitation of plane mirror waveguides is that they can only guide light in one direction. They also require precise alignment of the mirrors and can be affected by environmental factors such as temperature and vibrations.