1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thank You Notes after an Interview

1. Dec 20, 2007 #1
    I interviewed with a national lab three days ago (in California). I just got an offer today, when they said it would take at least a month to evaluate the candidate. I was in the process of writing my TY notes to the interviewers until I got an e-mail for an offer.

So, what exactly do I say in the TY notes other than I enjoyed interviewing with you, etc. blah blah? Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Just tell them in person on your first day of work. Are you accepting the offer?

4. Dec 20, 2007 #3
    This is for an internship position in the summer, so that might be a little too late :(

I will be sending out snail mail because it says to do so on the agenda sheet.

5. Dec 20, 2007 #4
    As far as accepting it - I'm not too sure, I would like to decide dependent on the offer. The actual details have not been given to me, so I want to give it some time. If I wait too long, the TY letters won't have much significance.

I don't know how to write this, knowing that the people I interviewed with (5 individual, 45 min interviews) already "liked me" and I don't have to do any more sucking up or selling myself. I've looked at samples online and they are all tailored to kissing butt, which is kind of weird (I'm glad I don't have to do that).

6. Dec 20, 2007 #5

berkeman

Since you've been given an offer, the thank-you note is just saying "thanks for the interview, I enjoyed seeing the facility and speaking with you, and I've been offered the position. I'll be responding to the offer as soon as I get the details. Thanks again, user101."

7. Dec 20, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By the way, can you mention which national lab?

8. Dec 20, 2007 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you didn't get "the details" yet, then you haven't formally received an offer at all. An offer letter must clearly spell out salary and term of employment.

- Warren

9. Dec 20, 2007 #8
    The HR lady called me and said she was in the process of writing the details for the offer. I will be getting an offer, nonetheless... most likely tomorrow.

Picky for details, aren't we?

10. Dec 20, 2007 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not trying to be picky, I just wanted to make sure you didn't confuse a phone call or something for an actual offer. There's really no social etiquette (in the US, at least) that demands or even expects thank you notes, by the way.

- Warren

11. Dec 20, 2007 #10

berkeman

I forgot to say it already, Congratulations!

If it's LLNL, ping me when you get here this summer. I'm in the East Bay Area just over the hill from Livermore.

12. Dec 20, 2007 #11
    Thanks, berkeman. I appreciate it. I've learned one thing and it is hard work during school DOES pay off. You often lose sight or get off track a little, but it's moments like these that make it worth it.

chroot, I wasn't meaning to be rude or anything (looking back, it may seem like it). The HR person said "I did very well during the interviews and the managers liked me, so I'm in the process of writing your offer letter." I was in shock and I asked her again, and she confirmed that I did indeed get the job.

As far as the thank you notes - it seems to me that everyone I've talked to says you should write one to stand out. While you may be partially right, many of those who interview for a job do not send letters out, but those who want to "stand out", do send letters. Google "Interview Thank You Notes" - you'll get a ton of links of samples. It's nothing special, just another chance to kiss up.

13. Dec 20, 2007 #12

berkeman

But that's the point. In the work that chroot and I do, we don't see any positive value in kissing up after an interview. You got the job because of how well you did in the interview, and because of how hard you worked in school. A kiss-up thank you note doesn't make you stand out in a positive way.

But since you did get the job, then a brief, heartfelt "thanks" e-mail wouldn't be inappropriate.

14. Dec 20, 2007 #13
    I guess each have their own opinions. I personally do NOT see the value in them either, it's a waste of my time and their time.

I just do it because others may be doing it as well; competition.

15. Mar 24, 2011 #14

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I acceept that UK and US cultures are different, but (in the UK) I've never ever had a thank-you note from somebody I interviewed, and I would think something strange was going on if I ever did get one.

Starting your job acceptance letter/email with a formal "thank you for your job offer" is perfectly sensible and acceptable, but remember that letter will be going to some administrator in the HR department, and the interviewers won't see it.

Of course you might end up with working in the same team or department as one of the interviewers, but unless something happened to make your particular interview stick in their memory, compared with the dozens or hundreds of others they have done, don't expect them to remember anything about it.

Keep a sense of proportion about this. You have got a job offer. You haven't just won an Oscar. You don't have to make a cringe-worthy acceptance speech :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?