Thanks, now explain the explination.

In summary: So in summary, "affect" is a verb that means to influence, while "effect" is a noun that means the result of a cause. "Effect" can also be a verb, meaning to cause something to happen, but it is not commonly used in everyday conversation. It is more commonly used in technical writing.
tribdog
I write short stories every once in a while and I ran into the affect/effect problem. I don't know which one to use, but the notebook I'm using to write in has some grammar rules on the back cover. Here is what it says:
to "affect" is to influence, to "effect" is to cause
:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a harsh critic of my own writing but i recently wrote two sentences that are awesome. the rest of the story wasn't that good, but I'm so in love with the last two lines I have to share them:
"I love you," I said. "Please don't ever leave me."
She said, "Sorry," and went home to her husband.

Now that's good writing. The story I'm working on right now is about a guy watching a telethon for people with tourette's syndrome, but the people manning the phone lines are sufferers. When he tries to make a donation he just ends up in a fight with the operator.

Well the way I see it is that you/someone/something affects something
but something causes the effect of something. It really depends on what you are saying

affect is a verb...affect is synonymous with influence.

effect is a noun. It is what results from some action or cause...

one is a verb...the other is a noun...that should clear it up.

leright said:
affect is a verb...affect is synonymous with influence.

effect is a noun. It is what results from some action or cause...

one is a verb...the other is a noun...that should clear it up.

Quite wrong. "To effect" is a verb as well.

Rach3 said:
Quite wrong. "To effect" is a verb as well.
Can you really say "To effect"?... really?:confused:

so do I say the mosquito affected me with malaria or effected me with malaria? and it gave me a bad ear affection/effection

lol, just kidding. wouldn't that be funny though

tribdog said:
so do I say the mosquito affected me with malaria or effected me with malaria?
Did the mosquito influence you or did it cause you?

moose said:
Can you really say "To effect"?... really?:confused:
Yes you can. (When you see 'effect' as a transitive verb, think along the lines of 'accomplish').
Eg: to effect the disarmament; to effect its conclusion.

tribdog said:
I'm a harsh critic of my own writing but i recently wrote two sentences that are awesome. the rest of the story wasn't that good, but I'm so in love with the last two lines I have to share them:
"I love you," I said. "Please don't ever leave me."
She said, "Sorry," and went home to her husband.

Now that's good writing.
Yes it is.
Cut the rest of the story.
Not all stories need to be long, in particular the short ones.

arildno said:
Not all stories need to be long, in particular the short ones.
are you absolutely sure the short ones don't need to be long?

tribdog said:
so do I say the mosquito affected me with malaria or effected me with malaria? and it gave me a bad ear affection/effection

lol, just kidding. wouldn't that be funny though
You'd say the mosquito infected you with malaria. :biggrin: :devil:

An effect is a result. So, a cause leads to an effect.

To affect something is to influence the cause (more or less). You can affect something that leads to an effect.

But, effect can also be a verb, and means to cause something to happen. You can effect an effect. :biggrin: I haven't run into the verb "to effect" in anything other than technical writing. I don't think people use it in normal conversation.

Hey, Moonbear! Is it really possible to effect an effect? :wink:

Moonbear said:
You'd say the mosquito infected you with malaria. :biggrin: :devil:

An effect is a result. So, a cause leads to an effect.

To affect something is to influence the cause (more or less). You can affect something that leads to an effect.

But, effect can also be a verb, and means to cause something to happen. You can effect an effect. :biggrin: I haven't run into the verb "to effect" in anything other than technical writing. I don't think people use it in normal conversation.

so you're saying the verb usage of effect is the same thing as the verb usage of affect?

If I am referring to the act of making something happen or the act of making some change, I use the verb affect. If I am referring to the result of some cause, I use the noun effect. I never use effect as a verb, even in scientific papers.

leright said:
so you're saying the verb usage of effect is the same thing as the verb usage of affect?
Nope. Changing something (affecting it) is not the same as causing something to happen (effecting it). Can be quite the opposite sometimes.

Example: "He effected the transition" vs "he affected the transition".

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Nope. Changing something (affecting it) is not the same as causing something to happen (effecting it). Can be quite the opposite sometimes.

Example: "He effected the transition" vs "he affected the transition".

ah, that clarifies. Thanks.

1. What does "Thanks, now explain the explanation" mean?

When someone says "Thanks, now explain the explanation," they are asking for a further explanation or clarification on something that has already been explained.

2. Why do people say "Thanks, now explain the explanation"?

People say "Thanks, now explain the explanation" when they want to fully understand a concept or idea and need more information to do so.

3. Is "Thanks, now explain the explanation" a common phrase?

Yes, "Thanks, now explain the explanation" is a common phrase used when seeking further understanding or clarification on a topic.

4. How should I respond when someone says "Thanks, now explain the explanation"?

You should respond by providing a more detailed explanation or breaking down the concept into simpler terms if possible.

5. Can "Thanks, now explain the explanation" be considered rude?

It depends on the tone and context in which it is said. In general, it is not considered rude as it is a request for more information.