That Will Smith and Chris Rock thing

• Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary, Smith's body language during the slap was convincing, but it's possible the slap was staged. Chris Rock's physical abilities were questioned and he was compared to Jussie Smollett.
pinball1970
Gold Member
<Moderator's note: Thread split off. You guys take your fight outside (the jokes thread) :wink:>
BillTre said:
A body language analysis gives an interesting breakdown of this.
Not a moral judgement, just whether it was staged or not in his opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
A body language analysis gives an interesting breakdown of this.
Not a moral judgement, just whether it was staged or not in his opinion.
If it was staged Will Smith deserves another Oscar for his portrayal of an angry Husband. He sure had me convinced.

Either way, it can't be said this went off without a Hitch...

and...

This must be the return of slapstick comedy...

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
bob012345 said:
If it was staged Will Smith deserves another Oscar for his portrayal of an angry Husband. He sure had me convinced.
They are professional actors; this is what they do. And for good reasons apparently...

1648678708453.png

https://www.insider.com/sales-for-chris-rocks-show-skyrocket-after-oscars-slap-2022-3

Personally, I think they should both be issued camo gear and put on the next flight to the Ukraine so they can experience real life. Stupid manipulating Hollywood and its actors... Grrr

Likes artis, Oldman too and BillTre
"Greatest night of TV ever" (or something like that).

• Haha
Likes artis and Oldman too
You really think the fresh prince would voluntarily flush his entire reputation down the toilet, just to generate a few days worth of social media hype?

Likes russ_watters
ergospherical said:
You really think the fresh prince would voluntarily flush his entire reputation down the toilet, just to generate a few days worth of social media hype?
It sounds like you are attributing way too much intelligence to these two actors and their agents, IMO... Think Jussie Smollett...

• Haha
Likes artis, Oldman too and BillTre
ergospherical said:
What on Earth are you talking about? There are likely many who are impressed by how strongly he "defended his wife's honor" kind of thing and slapping another celebrity hardly is going to ruin his reputation.

phinds said:
What on Earth are you talking about? There are likely many who are impressed by how strongly he "defended his wife's honor" kind of thing and slapping another celebrity hardly is going to ruin his reputation.
I guess you didn't read my Jussie Smollett reference? Should I post a link?

berkeman said:
I guess you didn't read my Jussie Smollett reference? Should I post a link?
I don't think one has anything to do with the other, but if you think the whole Rock/Smith thing was a setup, then they do.

Sorry, who is "they"? The Oscars people? The actors' agents? The public?

They’re not even remotely comparable. Smith is already one of the most famous men on the planet, and hardly short of cash; he has nothing to gain and everything to lose. The reaction was near-universally critical of him and if it truly were staged, the truth would have come out by now.

I dislike Hollywood as much as the next man, but c’mon.

Likes BWV, russ_watters, hutchphd and 1 other person
If he was sincere, why didn't he use a closed fist lights-out? A slap? That's for publicity, even if it wasn't staged. And how is Chris Rock so impaired that he doesn't know how to dodge/duck? I'm pretty sure I can at least partially duck a sucker punch...

Likes Bystander and dlgoff
Hindsight is a lovely thing. When you’re pumped up on adrenaline, you tend not to think so deeply.

Anyone speaking on stage is in a responsible position of trust. When they work that hard to provoke a response from a member of the audience, it is called bullying. The slap was a measured response, maybe not the response expected, but it was well deserved. What other response would have been appropriate. A closed fist would have been classed as assault.

• Skeptical
Likes russ_watters
Baluncore said:
A closed fist would have been classed as assault.
So is a slap. Pretty convenient that the "victim" chose not to file charges. I still call BS.

Likes artis and Bystander
Baluncore said:
Anyone speaking on stage is in a responsible position of trust. When they work that hard to provoke a response from a member of the audience, it is called bullying. The slap was a measured response, maybe not the response expected, but it was well deserved. What other response would have been appropriate. A closed fist would have been classed as assault.
Gosh! Whatever happened to “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words…”?

It’s a pretty fundamental tenet of a free society that anyone - especially comedians - should be able to say whatever they like without fear of physical violence.

berkeman said:
Pretty convenient that the "victim" chose not to file charges.
De-escalation?

Likes StatGuy2000, BWV and Hamiltonian
ergospherical said:
Maybe celebrities like Smith, probably surrounded to fawning people all the time, get a bit thin-skinned towards any criticism, even from a comedian.

Or, maybe Mike's right and the whole thing was a setup. I tend to think not.

ergospherical said:
"... will never hurt me, but when I'm dead and in my grave, you'll remember what you called me".
Is the suicide rate not high enough ?

I guess, bullying of an individual audience member must be acceptable then, if you are a stand up comedian in the USA.

berkeman said:
So is a slap. Pretty convenient that the "victim" chose not to file charges. I still call BS.

I'm surprised. I should think believing this was staged would be classified as a conspiracy theory here at PF. :biggrin:

• Haha
Likes artis and russ_watters
bob012345 said:
I'm surprised. I should think believing this was staged would be classified as a conspiracy theory here at PF. :biggrin:
Well, that's a valid concern. Unfortunately we are discussing actors who make their living through acting. Are you familiar with the Jussie Smollett reference? That is a convicted criminal offense and not a conspiracy theory...

berkeman said:
Well, that's a valid concern. Unfortunately we are discussing actors who make their living through acting. Are you familiar with the Jussie Smollett reference? That is a convicted criminal offense and not a conspiracy theory...
Yes, but since this is a jokes forum I was speaking in jest, not a serious criticism at all.

But in all seriousness, these are a few reasons I don't think it was staged, First, the 20 second delay gave ABC ample time to edit the audio which they did and would not have if this were planned and second, Will Smith and Chris Rock would be unlikely to do this esp. with Smith's f-bombs in front of a national audience with many teens and children possibly watching. Also, the rage on Smith's face was scary not funny. I was disturbed by it.

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
I guess, bullying of an individual audience member must be acceptable then, if you are a stand up comedian in the USA.
"Bullying" is in the eye of the beholder. It is VERY common for comedians to make fun of particular audience members. This is either done in a good natured way and gets a laugh from everyone including the target, or it is done to a heckler.

SOMETIMES a comedian misjudges the audience or the joke and things go awry. There's a famous story about how Mark Twain made fun, in their presence, of most of the literary bigwigs of his time, and it did NOT go over well.

Still, none of them got up and slapped him.

Likes symbolipoint and ergospherical
All I can think of is Joan Rivers. And the wonderful Joy Behar.

berkeman said:
I thought the whole thing was bizarre to say the least. The body language analysis I posted claims the incident was not staged.
The analysis looks at Smith, his wife and Rock then Smith's speech.
I probably know as much as the next man about body language (not a huge amount) and this break down gives examples of research on various points.
If you think it was fake I would like your view on the video. It's quite long but you will probably have a view half way through.

berkeman said:

I had never heard of this guy till you referenced him.
Pretty crazy faking all that, why? Attention seeking? Victim complex? Or screwed up about coming out?
I get your point, actors do what they do best , act so this could have been an elaborate plan.
I look at actors the same way I look at footballers, I love the game but I am not that interested in the off the field activity.

This was quite a thing though, it must be it as it made it on to pf!
What I am interested in the body language break down, I hope you look at the vid I posted.
It looks methodical and scientific but that depends if you think body language is reliable, is scientific or is not reliable or worse, pseudoscience.

Baluncore said:
I am reminded of an event from 2011

• Haha
Likes russ_watters and pinball1970
Baluncore said:
Anyone speaking on stage is in a responsible position of trust. When they work that hard to provoke a response from a member of the audience, it is called bullying.
Nonsense. That's not true of normal stand-up comedy, much less in this situation.

For normal stand-up comedy, the audience is paying the comedian and seats near the front cost more. The possibility of being roasted by the host is part of the allure. People go home from a comedy show and brag about it to their friends. What you're suggesting is like going to Sea World, sitting in the front row and then complaining that you got splashed (for Sea World, there are signs).

In this case, both Rock and Smith are being paid for the awards show, whether directly or indirectly. For Rock it's an advertisement for his comedy. For Smith (and the academy), the roasting is part of the gig (they've been using this formula for decades), designed to both generate views from the audience and make the celebrities seem more approachable in what is otherwise a night when mega-millionaires are patting each other on the back. While also promoting his movie/career.
Baluncore said:
The slap was a measured response, maybe not the response expected, but it was well deserved. What other response would have been appropriate. A closed fist would have been classed as assault.
I agree that there was some measurement in the response, and it's clear from the fact that he got away with it in the moment that he knew where the line was to avoid immediate consequences.

hutchphd said:
I am reminded of an event from 2011
That was hilarious, never seen that!

Likes hutchphd
berkeman said:
It sounds like you are attributing way too much intelligence to these two actors and their agents, IMO... Think Jussie Smollett...
Agents and publicists. I think both Smith and Smollett were acting on their own, as evidenced by the fact that Smith's publicist came up to talk to him after the slap. If it were pre-planned by his team there'd be no need for that.

I've heard the opposite half spin from what you said; that because publicists and agents are so smart this had to be pre-planned.

And I don't think it was pre-planned by Smith or his team because of the massive downside for him. I think it's exactly what it appeared to be: a crazy artist going crazy in the moment.

And how is Chris Rock so impaired that he doesn't know how to dodge/duck?
The idea of being b-slapped on stage probably never crossed his mind.

Likes Klystron, Oldman too and hutchphd
ergospherical said:
Just to echo that: Smith's entire persona/allure, is being a happy-go-lucky, likable guy. He's flushed that down the toilet.

Likes Astronuc, StatGuy2000, 256bits and 2 others
phinds said:
There are many, but the proportion seems wildly in the opposite direction to me, reading media coverage/listening to people talk about it on the radio. The positive reaction itself reflects toxic masculinity and violent black culture problems:
https://kareem.substack.com/p/will-smith-did-a-bad-bad-thing?s=r

russ_watters said:
There are many, but the proportion seems wildly in the opposite direction to me, reading media coverage/listening to people talk about it on the radio.
Yeah, I think I underestimated the backlash in this case, BUT ... I doubt it will affect his bankability as a major star.

Likes russ_watters
bob012345 said:

Either way, it can't be said this went off without a Hitch...

and...

This must be the return of slapstick comedy...
This is just a hypothesis, Ricky Gervais at the globes set a new bar.

Very edgy, sarcastic, uncomfortable AND funny, roasting the entire industry. But they keep asking him back (5 times)

Perhaps Rock was pushing the envelope for the Oscars as his stand up (which I like) is also very edgy.

It backfired. Unless it was staged to increase interest, I think that’s unlikely, just too bizarre and unpredictable in terms of outcome.

Likes russ_watters
I don't think that either man was in the right.

Chris Rocks joke was offensive and not funny.
Will Smiths reaction was violent & OTT.

They should both be apologising to each other.

I hate celebrity culture.

Likes symbolipoint, DennisN, pinball1970 and 2 others
Isopod said:
I don't think that either man was in the right.

Chris Rocks joke was offensive and not funny.
Will Smiths reaction was violent & OTT.

They should both be apologising to each other.

I hate celebrity culture.
They have completely different lives to us. Egos, status and wealth.
Ordinary intelligent people do not behave like that.
Giving Chris Rock the benefit of the doubt he may not have known she had a medical condition.
On the other hand women do not lose their hair like that at that age statistically at least and intelligent people tend to recognise that. She could have been in the middle of treatment for cancer. He should have done his research.
If that was my wife? I would have been dignified, nodded in his direction with a straight face and stayed put. Then had a chat with him back stage.

Likes Isopod
<h2>1. Who is Will Smith and Chris Rock?</h2><p>Will Smith and Chris Rock are both well-known actors and comedians in the entertainment industry. Will Smith is known for his roles in movies such as "Independence Day" and "Men in Black", while Chris Rock is known for his stand-up comedy specials and his role in the TV show "Everybody Hates Chris".</p><h2>2. Are Will Smith and Chris Rock related?</h2><p>No, Will Smith and Chris Rock are not related. They have worked together on various projects in the past, but they are not related by blood.</p><h2>3. What is "That Will Smith and Chris Rock thing"?</h2><p>"That Will Smith and Chris Rock thing" is a phrase that is often used to refer to the collaboration or partnership between Will Smith and Chris Rock in a particular project or event. It could refer to a movie they both starred in, a comedy show they performed together, or any other joint venture they have been a part of.</p><h2>4. How many times have Will Smith and Chris Rock worked together?</h2><p>Will Smith and Chris Rock have worked together on several occasions throughout their careers. They have starred in movies such as "Bad Boys II" and "Death at a Funeral", and have also performed together at various comedy events and award shows.</p><h2>5. Is "That Will Smith and Chris Rock thing" still happening?</h2><p>It depends on the specific project or event being referred to. Will Smith and Chris Rock continue to be active in the entertainment industry and may collaborate again in the future, but it is not guaranteed that they will always work together on every project or event.</p>

1. Who is Will Smith and Chris Rock?

Will Smith and Chris Rock are both well-known actors and comedians in the entertainment industry. Will Smith is known for his roles in movies such as "Independence Day" and "Men in Black", while Chris Rock is known for his stand-up comedy specials and his role in the TV show "Everybody Hates Chris".

2. Are Will Smith and Chris Rock related?

No, Will Smith and Chris Rock are not related. They have worked together on various projects in the past, but they are not related by blood.

3. What is "That Will Smith and Chris Rock thing"?

"That Will Smith and Chris Rock thing" is a phrase that is often used to refer to the collaboration or partnership between Will Smith and Chris Rock in a particular project or event. It could refer to a movie they both starred in, a comedy show they performed together, or any other joint venture they have been a part of.

4. How many times have Will Smith and Chris Rock worked together?

Will Smith and Chris Rock have worked together on several occasions throughout their careers. They have starred in movies such as "Bad Boys II" and "Death at a Funeral", and have also performed together at various comedy events and award shows.

5. Is "That Will Smith and Chris Rock thing" still happening?

It depends on the specific project or event being referred to. Will Smith and Chris Rock continue to be active in the entertainment industry and may collaborate again in the future, but it is not guaranteed that they will always work together on every project or event.