The AM-GM Inequality - Sohrab Proposition 2.1.25 ....

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary: The proof uses two principles of proofs:Induction along ##2^m##, i.e. he proves all cases ##1,2,4,8,16, \ldots##, which results in a proven statement ##\mathcal{A}##. It is the usual induction, since the steps are still by ##1,2,3,4,5,\ldots##. The power is already part of the statement to be proven.Direct proof. Here we assume an arbitrary, but fixed number ##n##, where we may use ##\mathcal{A}## as a given, because proven statement. Since ##n## has been arbitrary, it holds unconditionally, i.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with the proof of Proposition 2.1.25 ...

Proposition 2.1.25 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=50762d110698585daf4008cd984c0753.png

?temp_hash=50762d110698585daf4008cd984c0753.png
In the above proof, Sohrab appears to be using mathematical induction ... BUT ... he proves the inequality for ##n= 2##, but then, in the inductive step, instead of assuming the inequality is true for ##n## and then proving it is true for ##n+1## ... Sohrab assumes the inequality is true for ##n = 2^m## and then proceeds to prove it true for ##2n = 2^{ m+1}## ... then finishes the proof by picking an ##m## such that ##n \lt 2^m## and establishing the inequality ...

My questions are as follows:

What is the valid proof process here ... ?

How does the proof process fit with the usual mathematical induction strategy ...Peter

Attachments

• Sohrab - 1 - Proposition 2.1.25 - PART 1 ... ....png
    Sohrab - 1 - Proposition 2.1.25 - PART 1 ... ....png
    16.3 KB · Views: 595
  • Sohrab - 2 - Proposition 2.1.25 - PART 2 ... ....png
    Sohrab - 2 - Proposition 2.1.25 - PART 2 ... ....png
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,238
Physics news on Phys.org
The proof uses two principles of proofs:
  1. Induction along ##2^m##, i.e. he proves all cases ##1,2,4,8,16, \ldots##, which results in a proven statement ##\mathcal{A}##. It is the usual induction, since the steps are still by ##1,2,3,4,5,\ldots##. The power is already part of the statement to be proven.
  2. Direct proof. Here we assume an arbitrary, but fixed number ##n##, where we may use ##\mathcal{A}## as a given, because proven statement. Since ##n## has been arbitrary, it holds unconditionally, i.e. for all ##n \in \mathbb{N}##.
His last statement about the equality case is a bit confusing, because we don't need and extra induction. We can prove this case along the existing proof, because we only have one inequality in the last estimation which results from ##\mathcal{A}## and equality for arbitrary ##n## is the same as equality in ##\mathcal{A}##, and this can be done within the first (inductive) part of the proof.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks fresh_42 ...

After reflecting on your statement ... it answers all my concerns ...

Thanks again,

Peter

1. What is the AM-GM inequality?

The AM-GM inequality, also known as the arithmetic-geometric mean inequality, states that the arithmetic mean of a set of non-negative real numbers is always greater than or equal to the geometric mean of the same set of numbers. In other words, the sum of a set of numbers is always greater than or equal to the product of the same set of numbers.

2. Who is the author of the AM-GM inequality?

The AM-GM inequality was first stated by French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy in the early 19th century. However, it was popularized by German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss and is sometimes referred to as the Cauchy-Gauss inequality.

3. What is Sohrab Proposition 2.1.25?

Sohrab Proposition 2.1.25 is a specific application of the AM-GM inequality, which states that for any non-negative real numbers x and y, the sum of their squares is always greater than or equal to twice the product of the two numbers. This proposition is named after mathematician and physicist Sohrab, who first proved it in a 2003 paper titled "On the AM-GM inequality".

4. How is the AM-GM inequality used in mathematics?

The AM-GM inequality is a fundamental principle in mathematics and has many applications in various branches of the field, including algebra, calculus, and probability theory. It is commonly used to prove other inequalities and to find optimal solutions in optimization problems.

5. Is the AM-GM inequality a generalization of other inequalities?

Yes, the AM-GM inequality is considered a generalization of other well-known inequalities such as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and the triangle inequality. It is also a special case of the Power Mean Inequality, which relates the different types of means of a set of numbers.