Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News The ATF and their role in gun control

1. Jan 17, 2013 #1
    The NRA says it wants existing laws to govern the control of firearms.
    The NRA removed the power of the ATF to execute the existing laws.

My forecast for future political action is that the NRA will face full legal disclosure in the SCOTUS.

Todd Tiart - Fox news July 19 2011
    Todd Tiart - Washington Post - July 21 2003

I think the 'legal people' should ask this person some questions IMHO .

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2011/07...ate-the/182538
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102303763.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2013 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Alfi, neither of your links work for me.

In any case, I have filled out reams of 4473 forms throughout the years that I spent running the firearms/militaria division of a large auction house. The myth of an "instant background check" is just that - a myth. Sometimes the FBI would give an OK on the phone, but more likely would call back within the day of the sale or the next day, and other times, would just "time out" so that you could make the transfer after 3 days of no response. In that case, the buyer incurs the extra expense of shipping (from my end) and transfer (from a licensed FFL-holder on their end). Either way, the buyer incurred extra expenses. I don't see how Obama is going to streamline the background checks to get around this, and it is to the detriment of to legal sellers at gun-shows and to honest auctioneers to let this situation continue.

BTW: the number of times that my department was audited by the ATF = 0.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  4. Jan 17, 2013 #3
    ouch ... I was just at them and then did the cut and paste thing to them ... ??
    I understand than I should not make 'statements of fact' without some sort of source.

c&p ... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/23/AR2010102303763.html

After gun industry pressure, veil was draped over tracing data

Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.) introduced the amendment that blocked gun tracing data.
    Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.) introduced the amendment that blocked gun tracing data. (Rick Carioti)
    Enlarge Photo
    TOOLBOX
    Resize
    Print
    Reprints
    By James V. Grimaldi and Sari Horwitz
    Sunday, October 24, 2010

Under the law, investigators cannot reveal federal firearms tracing information that shows how often a dealer sells guns that end up seized in crimes. The law effectively shields retailers from lawsuits, academic study and public scrutiny. It also keeps the spotlight off the relationship between rogue gun dealers and the black market in firearms.

www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/17/1...EVENT-the-ATF-from-enforcing-current-gun-laws
    I hope this will be acceptable.

5. Jan 17, 2013 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Disclaimer: I own a couple of semi-automatic pistols (one of which is almost 90 years old), but I have never felt the need to own a semi-auto rifle. I own a 1926 Ithaca double-barrel 16 gauge shotgun, two old Winchester Model 94 lever carbines chambered for .30-30 (and yes, that "94" stands for the initial year of issue - 1894) and a Ruger Model One single-shot rifle chambered for .45-70. I love to plink and shoot targets, but have never felt the urge to get into the assault weapon binge.

People should not get all frothy about some reasonable restrictions to gun transfers. The rub is - how do we make them work? Do we spend $$$$$$$$ to beef up the FBI to reduce response times so instant background checks can be reasonably "instant"? I have not seen any proposals that would facilitate making the background checks "instant".

6. Jan 17, 2013 #5
    IF even one dollar is incurred in extra expenses ... suck it up ... pass it on to the consumer.
    IF You don't see the streamlining ... suck it up. Change is required. Make it happen.

and this is the point ... perhaps it should be once a month.
    Give the ATF back the teeth that they had until taken away by the GOP by way of Tiahrt and his awards from the NRA

7. Jan 17, 2013 #6
    I don't care what you own. Not at issue.

Are they secure? As per law
    Good! ... then they won't be stolen and used to kill your mother and your children.

So ... what do you feel about ten, twenty, hundred ... ammunition capability?
    What requests proposed are you against?
    Money?

8. Jan 17, 2013 #7

nsaspook

Science Advisor

The ATF had their teeth taken away because it was and still is the only government agency that makes the TSA look good.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_1...furious-to-make-the-case-for-gun-regulations/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gunwalking_scandal

9. Jan 17, 2013 #8
    Either way, the buyer incurred extra expenses. this is not my concern

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook