1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The atom is how many times larger in volume than its nucleus?

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    I am new to physics, so bear with as I don't know a lot yet.
    I was given this problem to figure out, but have been having a difficult time.

A hydrogen atom has a diameter of approximately 1.06*10-10 m, as defined by the diameter of the spherical electron cloud around the nucleus. The hydrogen nucleus has a diameter of approximately 2.40*10-15 m. (a) For a scale model, represent the diameter of the hydrogen atom by the length of an American football field (100yds. = 300ft.), and determine the diameter of the nucleus in millimeters. (b) The atom is how many times larger in volume than its nucleus?

I know how to do all of the conversions, but am confused about representing the diameter by the length of a football field. Do I convert the diameter of the electron cloud to yards, and then multiply it by 100? What exactly do they mean ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a simple proportion problem and is similar to a map which represents, for example, 1 kilometer of terrain by 1 centimeter on paper.

4. Jan 22, 2006 #3
    Thanks Tide! That is what I thought, but it just didn't seem right on paper. I should be good then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?