The atom is how many times larger in volume than its nucleus?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
440BW
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am new to physics, so bear with as I don't know a lot yet.
I was given this problem to figure out, but have been having a difficult time.

A hydrogen atom has a diameter of approximately 1.06*10-10 m, as defined by the diameter of the spherical electron cloud around the nucleus. The hydrogen nucleus has a diameter of approximately 2.40*10-15 m. (a) For a scale model, represent the diameter of the hydrogen atom by the length of an American football field (100yds. = 300ft.), and determine the diameter of the nucleus in millimeters. (b) The atom is how many times larger in volume than its nucleus?

I know how to do all of the conversions, but am confused about representing the diameter by the length of a football field. Do I convert the diameter of the electron cloud to yards, and then multiply it by 100? What exactly do they mean ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a simple proportion problem and is similar to a map which represents, for example, 1 kilometer of terrain by 1 centimeter on paper.
 
Thanks Tide! That is what I thought, but it just didn't seem right on paper. I should be good then.