1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The beginning for time for beginners

1. Feb 17, 2014 #1
    Hi,

Basically I would like to learn about the beginning of time and I am wondering what literature I should read surrounding this.

**For the record; I have a Master's degree from a top university in Astrophysics**

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure just what you are looking for. If you are interested in the very earliest developments in the universe, I suggest "The First Three Minutes" by Weinberg.

4. Feb 18, 2014 #3
    Do we know anything about the beginning of time? Shouldn't that title be "The First Three Minutes Except For The First Fraction of a Nanosecond"? GR suggest that time begins with the Big Bang, but GR breaks down at very small scales, i.e., during that first fraction of a Nanosecond. So there actually isn't *any* sensible literature about the beginning.

5. Feb 18, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

no

yes

6. May 10, 2014 #5
    There is a theory that time itself did not exist until there were electrons and photons, but I'm not so sure about needing the electrons any more (because pairs of virtual photons can be produced without electrons) nor for that matter, , whether time actually exists for energy at all (because according to STR, time does not exist at the speed of light).

Pairs of photons (or else an electron and a photon) are essential to having photons with energy that is defined, and also to the formulation of the theories of relativity (because it's the part that makes an observer necessary in the first analysis).

Sorry, I don't have a good reference for your questions about time. As an astrophysicist, I would be paying more attention to things like the BICEP polarization studies on the cosmic background radiation. It sure is interesting.

7. May 10, 2014 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please provide a reference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook