The Bohr Model -answer one ? if not all

In summary, the individual is studying chemistry and has questions about the Bohr model and electron energy levels. They are using a video to learn and have posted some questions on a forum. The questions involve topics such as why electrons emit radiation, the relationship between frequency and color of light, and the energy levels of electrons in different orbits. They also mention an equation used to determine the energy of an electron. They are seeking clarification and explanation from experts on the forum.
jcmartinez
hello, i am studying chemistry. There are a lot of things i do not understand though. This is not homework, just studies of my own that i would like to reach a deeper understand of. I love the responses i have read, so decided to make an account and learn from all you geniuses!

Bohr model video i am using to learn.

1st question. classical electromagnetic theory predicts an orbiting e- should emit radiation. Why?
the frequency will change due to loss in energy, resulting in the electron crashing with the nucleus. If the e- looses its energy though, wouldn't it just stay floating?

2nd. some atoms glow, but do not change color, which indicate a frequency shift. I though frequency determined what type of wave was emitted. (e.g. uv, infrared, light) I also thought that wavelength determined color.

3rd. e- in smaller orbits posses less energy then those in bigger orbits (further away). The video says its due to the attraction with the nucleus. so more attraction equals smaller orbit number?

Bohr equated the allowed values of the angular momentum to the energy of the electron. He obtained the following equation. E= -R(little h)/n^2
R(little h) is known as Rydberg constant) 2.18 x 10^-18

So I am guessing to determine the energy of an e-, we use that formula. The smaller the "n" value is, the larger my "E" is. Since my result will be a negative number, it makes sense because -1000 is lower then -10. Since we cannot have a Negative orbital (or a -n) our "E" values will always be negative right? Cause if "E" was a positive value, 1000 to 10 would mean the smaller orbitals have more energy right? so does that explain the reason for the negative symbol in front of the equation? or did i just BS myself.

please shed light onto me ohh PF gurus!

-sincerely person trying to conquer chemistry

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org

What is the Bohr Model and why is it important?

The Bohr Model is a description of the structure of an atom proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It is important because it was the first model to successfully explain the behavior of electrons in atoms and laid the foundation for our understanding of atomic structure.