Rutherford model of atom and Bohr model

In summary, the Rutherford model of the hydrogen atom proposed a nucleus at the center with orbiting electrons, but it had inadequacies in explaining how the nucleus was held together and the stability of the orbits. On the other hand, the Bohr model introduced the concept of quantized orbits and the significance of the quantum number 'n' in determining electron levels. However, Rutherford's model did not include the idea of orbiting electrons, as clarified by reputable sources.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Question
a) Briefly describe the Rutherford model of the hydrogen atom and mention any inadequacies that it might have.

b) Describe the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom, and indicate the significance of the quantum number 'n' in the Bohr model.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a little issue with what the question is asking as I done really know any background information on Rutherford creating a working theory for a hydrogen atom.

I know that from experiments he had working theory of the atom as the nucleus in the centre and the electrons revolve around the nucleus in orbits like planetary bodies, and the issue with this when he created this model were

1. How the nucleus was held together as the proton of the same change should repel.

2. The stability of the orbits as due to Maxwell theory as the electron are accelerating then they should loose energy and collapse into the nucleus.

But if I assume that i am using the Rutherford for the hydrogen then only number 2 is valid and number 1 for the hydrogen atom is only good if there is more than one proton in the nucleus.

Is this what the question is asking?

for b)
Bohr used the orbital model except he made two hypothesis where

1. Orbit where quantized, due to the quantization of angular momentum

2. Emission of light or absorption corresponds to transitions between allowed orbits.

where 'n' represent the electron level in the hydrogen atom (quntum number).

Is there anything I would need to add, or is my understanding in general correction in anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
I know that from experiments he [Rutherford] had working theory of the atom as the nucleus in the centre and the electrons revolve around the nucleus in orbits like planetary bodies,
Rutherford's model did not include the idea of orbiting electrons. He simply assumed they were distributed somehow around a small nucleus. See e.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr_model
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutherford_model

or better, for the purposes of a school paper, the references at the end of those articles. (Students shouldn't use Wikipedia as the primary source for a paper, although well-written articles can point you towards good sources.)

1. What is the Rutherford model of atom?

The Rutherford model of atom, also known as the nuclear model, was proposed by scientist Ernest Rutherford in 1911. It states that an atom has a small, dense, positively charged nucleus at its center, surrounded by negatively charged electrons that orbit the nucleus in circular paths.

2. How is the Rutherford model different from the previous plum pudding model?

The plum pudding model, proposed by J.J. Thomson, suggested that an atom was a uniform, positively charged sphere with negatively charged electrons embedded within it. The Rutherford model proposed that most of the atom's mass and positive charge was concentrated in the nucleus, with the electrons orbiting around it.

3. What is the Bohr model of atom?

The Bohr model, proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913, is a modification of the Rutherford model. It suggests that electrons orbit the nucleus in specific energy levels, and that they can jump from one level to another by gaining or losing energy. This model helped to explain the stability of atoms and the emission of light by elements.

4. What is the main limitation of the Bohr model?

The main limitation of the Bohr model is that it only works for atoms with one electron, such as hydrogen. It cannot accurately predict the behavior of atoms with multiple electrons, which have more complex energy levels and orbital shapes.

5. How did the Rutherford and Bohr models contribute to our understanding of the atom?

The Rutherford and Bohr models were significant in shaping our understanding of the atom and its structure. They provided evidence for the existence of a small, dense nucleus and helped to explain the behavior of electrons in atoms. These models also served as the foundation for further developments in atomic theory, such as the quantum mechanical model.