The Conjugate Method for Limits

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the conjugate method in finding limits. It is a method of multiplying the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of either one to simplify the equation and eliminate any zeros in the denominator. However, there may be cases where this method does not work and factors in the numerator and denominator need to be identified and cancelled out. It is important to understand the purpose and differences between the conjugate method and the factoring method.
charley076
I'm reviewing limits to tutor a student in precalc and came across a problem.

The conjugate method multiplies the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the numerator or denominator to simplify the equation. However, after a quick example I wrote for myself, I found that:

lim x-> 3
f(x) / (x-3)
Conjugate Method on the Denominator
lim x-> 3
f(x)*(x+3) / (x^2-9)
The limit still has a 0 in the denominator

lim x-> -3
f(x) / (x+3)
Conjugate Method on the Denominator
lim x-> -3
f(x)*(x-3) / (x^2-9)
The limit still has a 0 in the denominator

The examples of "The Conjugate Method" that I've found online have all multiplied by the conjugate to create a common factor to eliminate the 0 in the denominator.

Ex.
lim x-> 4
(sqrt(x)-2) / x-4
Conjugate of Numerator
lim x-> 4
x-4 / ((x-4)(sqrt(x)+2)
Cancel common factor
lim x-> 4
1 / (sqrt(x)+2)
=1/4

My issue is that the conjugate method is the same as the factoring method as far as I understand it. Is there a difference or is the conjugate method simply easier to use when the factors aren't as easily identifiable.

My point using the example above is:
lim x-> 4
(sqrt(x)-2) / x-4
Factor the denominator into (sqrt(x)-2) & (sqrt(x)+2)
lim x-> 4
(sqrt(x)-2) / ((sqrt(x)-2)(sqrt(x)+2))
Cancel (sqrt(x)-2)
lim x-> 4
1 / (sqrt(x)+2)
= 1/4

Is there a difference between these methods?
Is there a time when only one or the other can be used?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In your first two examples, you have f(x) in the numerator, so multiplying the expression by 1 in the form of the conjugate over itself isn't going to get you anywhere.

The purpose of multiplying by the conjugate over itself is to be able to get common factors in the numerator and denominator that you can eliminate in the hope of being able to evaluate the rest of the limit expression.

Sorry for the confusion, the reason I put f(x) as the numerator was b/c i didn't know what to put there that wouldn't cause the limit to evaluate to infinity. I just meant f(x) to be filler, i.e. regardless of what the numerator is, multiplying top and bottom by the conjugate of the denominator doesn't resolve the 0 in the denominator.

What is the Conjugate Method for Limits?

The Conjugate Method for Limits is a mathematical technique used to evaluate the limit of a function as the independent variable approaches a specific value. It involves multiplying the function by its conjugate, which is the same expression with the opposite sign between terms.

How does the Conjugate Method work?

The Conjugate Method works by multiplying the function by its conjugate. This helps to eliminate any radical expressions in the numerator and denominator, making it easier to evaluate the limit. After multiplying, you can then use basic algebraic techniques to simplify the expression and find the limit.

When should the Conjugate Method be used?

The Conjugate Method is best used when evaluating limits involving radical expressions, especially when the expression is in an indeterminate form such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It can also be used for limits involving trigonometric functions.

Are there any limitations to using the Conjugate Method?

While the Conjugate Method can be useful in many cases, it may not always work for more complex functions. It is important to carefully analyze the function and determine if the method is appropriate before using it to evaluate the limit.

What are the benefits of using the Conjugate Method?

The Conjugate Method can make it easier to evaluate limits involving radical expressions, as it simplifies the expression and often results in a more manageable form. It also allows for the use of other algebraic techniques that may not have been possible without using the method.