The Curious History of Jaywalking

In summary, the article talks about how car manufacturers waged a psychological battle to win ownership of the streets from pedestrians by convincing them to blame themselves for getting hit by a car. The article provides two examples of how this battle played out, one involving a pedestrian crossing the street while a car is making a right turn, and the other involving a pedestrian crossing the street while a car is trying to make a left turn. The article also discusses how car manufacturers have used wider A-pillars to add crash strength and how drivers can reduce the likelihood of missing something important by always moving their heads.

The article talks about how car manufacturers waged a psychological battle to win ownership of the streets from pedestrians by convincing them to blame themselves for getting hit by a car.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, Son Goku, berkeman and 2 others
Science news on Phys.org
I have done a lot of running, walking, and jaywalking. There were two times that I had to do a serious jump to avoid getting run over. Both of those times I was in a marked crosswalk with a green walk light. It seems that a pedestrian entering a crosswalk is outside the arc of vigilance of many drivers making a right turn from behind the pedestrian.

Likes russ_watters
In the US many cities allow you cross at an intersection while cars are trying make turns right thru the crosswalk. They are supposed to yield but some try to beat the pedestrians.

Yes, I read an article about this long ago. Fascinating.
Fun fact: Jaywalking is not illegal (at least not in Toronto). A pedestrian is allowed to cross the street anywhere they want. However, they are required to yield to traffic. (So, if you cross anywhere you want and have an encounter with a vehicle you're in trouble.)My friend informed me of this after she had an encounter, and I didn't believe her until I looked it up in our city's bylaws.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, I read an article about this long ago. Fascinating.
Fun fact: Jaywalking is not illegal (at least not in Toronto). A pedestrian is allowed to cross the street anywhere they want. However, they are required to yield to traffic. (So, if you cross anywhere you want and have an encounter with a vehicle you're in trouble.)My friend informed me of this after she had an encounter, and I didn't believe her until I looked it up in our city's bylaws.
Snookered by those damnable car companies.

jrmichler said:
It seems that a pedestrian entering a crosswalk is outside the arc of vigilance of many drivers
The other issue is that most modern cars have wider A-pillars to add crash strength, and wide A-pillars can hide a single pedestrian pretty effectively. Always move your head to keep checking behind your A-pillars when approaching an intersection or making a turn!

1649337999278.png

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/driving-test-tutorials/a-pillar-blind-spots.html

Likes jedishrfu and Lnewqban
jedishrfu said:
In the US many cities allow you cross at an intersection while cars are trying make turns right thru the crosswalk. They are supposed to yield but some try to beat the pedestrians.
Often when you want to make a right turn on a red light, you're preoccupied with the oncoming traffic on the left, and when you see a break in the traffic, your instinct is to go. It's easy to miss a pedestrian on your right.

Likes Lnewqban, jedishrfu and Bystander
Along similar lines with what @berkeman said about moving your head to look around, my drivers' ed instructor when I was a 15-year-old kid told me emphatically (inexact but substantially accurate quote) "don't just check your outside rear-view mirror ##-## always 'check your shoulder' ##-## you have a blind spot" ##-## he was right, of course [SciAm article Find Your Blind Spot] ##-## when I questioned it, he said "I guarantee I can stand somewhere behind you on your left where you can't see me from just looking in your mirrors if you don't move your head" ##-## we can reduce the likelihood of missing something important by always as necessary moving our heads to composit more complete sets of points of view, and also, let's please not fail to recgonize the 'time of check to time of use' problem ##-## if the situation might change, between the most recent time of checking on something and the time of relying on it to be still true, then we might need to check again to make sure that it's still true.

Likes Lnewqban and berkeman
sysprog said:
always 'check your shoulder'
+1

I do this, and my neck is soon to start its 7th decade.

Pleased to say my boy, whom I am teaching, has learned this one.

Last edited:
Likes StatGuy2000, sysprog and berkeman
sysprog said:
"I guarantee I can stand somewhere behind you on your left where you can't see me from just looking in your mirrors if you don't move your head"
Yeah, and even with lots of head movement, some cars still have a blind spot to the driver's left near the rear.

When I bought my current vehicle (a used Jeep Grand Cherokee), the previous owner had installed one of those little dome mirrors on the driver-side rear view mirror. I thought it was kind of dorky at first, but after a couple close calls with cars in my blind spot as I was trying to carefully merge left, I started using it and found that it exactly covers the left-over part my blind spot after all of the tradition shoulder-checks, etc. :smile:

1649363249588.png

Likes Lnewqban and sysprog
berkeman said:
No, the F150 is a truck, not a foo-foo styling attempt at improving a pickup truck...

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/9Lleb/s1/2021-ford-f-150-limited.webp
Indeed. He got the worst of both worlds. It's not really a truck, but it's as awkward as a truck.

(And I know a thing or two about "neither fish nor fowl". I have a motorsailor that motors as poorly as a sailboat and sails as poorly as a motorboat. :wink: )

• Haha
Likes sysprog, jedishrfu and berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
Indeed. He got the worst of both worlds. It's not really a truck, but it's as awkward as a truck.

(And I know a thing or two about "neither fish nor fowl". I have a motorsailor that motors as poorly as a sailboat and sails as poorly as a motorboat. :wink: )
Is it anything like this VW Schwimmwagen? :oops:

1649391076946.png

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913
You can Jaywalk in Oregon but don't do it with a white cane, carelessly.
https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_814.120
A person commits the offense of unlawful use of a white cane if the person uses or carries a white cane on the highways or any other public place of this state and the person is not a person who has limited vision or is not a person who is blind or a person who is deaf-blind.

Likes sysprog
nsaspook said:
You can Jaywalk in Oregon but don't do it with a white cane, carelessly.
https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_814.120
I think that it's right to say that street-crossing other than along delineated crosswalks is not an offense if it's non-hazardous, and is an offense if it's hazardous, as Oregon does.

I think that a non-blind person intentionally raising a white cane in order to stop traffic, thus falsely claiming to be blind, in order to get deference that is accorded to the blind, is rightly considered to be thereby acting in a manner that is morally repugnant.

Likes nsaspook
berkeman said:
Yeah, and even with lots of head movement, some cars still have a blind spot to the driver's left near the rear.

When I bought my current vehicle (a used Jeep Grand Cherokee), the previous owner had installed one of those little dome mirrors on the driver-side rear view mirror. I thought it was kind of dorky at first, but after a couple close calls with cars in my blind spot as I was trying to carefully merge left, I started using it and found that it exactly covers the left-over part my blind spot after all of the tradition shoulder-checks, etc. :smile:

View attachment 299563
My new car has radar (I assume) detectors for cars in the blind spot on either side and alerts the driver when they are present. I still look over my shoulder, though.

Likes jedishrfu and berkeman
Never assume technology will do everything for you, you will always be disappointed. There are just too many stories to tell.

Likes Lnewqban, Bystander and nsaspook
DaveC426913 said:
Fun fact: Jaywalking is not illegal (at least not in Toronto). A pedestrian is allowed to cross the street anywhere they want. However, they are required to yield to traffic. (So, if you cross anywhere you want and have an encounter with a vehicle you're in trouble.)

That at least makes sense, as opposed to California.

Vehicle Code - VEH

DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336]

( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

CHAPTER 5. Pedestrians’ Rights and Duties [21949 - 21971]

( Chapter 5 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

Between adjacent intersections controlled by traffic control signal devices or by police officers, pedestrians shall not cross the roadway at any place except in a crosswalk.
(Enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3.)

(above from:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/...tion.xhtml?sectionNum=21955.&lawCode=VEH)[/I]

Likes berkeman
Yes, in Cali, it depends on whether there are traffic lights at adjacent intersections.

EDIT -- Although at least it kind of makes sense -- if there are traffic lights at the adjacent two intersections, it's probably a wide and busy street, in my experience.

Likes Tom.G
sandy stone said:
My new car has radar (I assume) detectors for cars in the blind spot on either side and alerts the driver when they are present. I still look over my shoulder, though.
Me too. A couple of times, when reversing, my car has slammed on its brakes to maximum but I never found out what it thought was behind me.

For maneuvering in carparks, I now find the camera system + proximity warning more reliable than direct visual.

@jedishrfu said:
Never assume technology will do everything for you, you will always be disappointed. There are just too many stories to tell.
Yes, but "tech + vigilance" is superior just vigilance and human reaction time. One time a neighbour was driving down a lane between garage blocks near where I live. A young child suddenly ran out and would have surely been killed or seriously injured except that the vehicle was equipped AEB (autonomous emergency braking).

strangerep said:
Me too. A couple of times, when reversing, my car has slammed on its brakes to maximum but I never found out what it thought was behind me.
And you're not worried about it also doing the same thing at speed on the expressyway? Is there any way to tap into your car's control unit to download the log and find the reason?

Do modern cars have the equivalent of "flight data recorders" that are accessible to the owners?

Likes Lnewqban
berkeman said:
And you're not worried about it also doing the same thing at speed on the expressyway?
Not until you said that. :oldfrown:
But I've never had any incident at speed to make me distrust my car (Audi S5). Quite the opposite.

I guess I've come to trust it since there were some other times when the reason for slamming on the brakes did become apparent afterwards, e.g., an ibis or smaller bird strolling into harm's way.

[Edit:] There have also been plenty of times when a suicidal bird has flown directly across my path when I'm driving at speed, just barely missing me. None of these cases caused the AEB to activate. I guess this scenario must surely be one of the cases that Audi's engineers would anticipate.

berkeman said:
Is there any way to tap into your car's control unit to download the log and find the reason?
Do modern cars have the equivalent of "flight data recorders" that are accessible to the owners?
It says nothing about that in the Audi owner's manual. I'll ask next time I take it in for service.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Some of the stories I was referring to were the Tesla that ran under an 18 wheeler while it was crossing a highway. The AI was trained on 18 wheelers from the front and back but not broadside and the car tried to go under it. The driver trusted the Tesla self driving AI even though Tesla called it a driver assist.

The case of the woman tester in Arizona riding in a self driving test vehicle which killed a bicyclist riding on the road at night. She was instructed to not take over controls unless the AI wasnt recognizing the obstacle. She said the AI issued a warning then canceled it then issued it again then canceled it then issued it and boom the car hit the bicyclist and the tester faced vehicular homicide charges.

Likes Lnewqban
berkeman said:
Do modern cars have the equivalent of "flight data recorders"
From various news reports and newspaper articles, here in the US the Police can access the recent data after an accident to read Speed, Steering position, Brake activity, Throttle position. I suspect, but have no knowledge of, that the storage may extend rather far into the past.

There have also been published reports that during a car chase, the police have remotely disabled a car to end the chase.

It has also been reported that an individual has taken remote control of a parked Tesla car, started it, and drove it a short distance without being in the car. I seem to recall a video of that but am still a little skeptical.
berkeman said:
that are accessible to the owners?
Not that I am aware of... although I expect a Google search would turn up a way to read it.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Lnewqban
Some cars are equipped with OnStar, a service that will notify 911 in the event of an accident, can start and stop cars among other services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnStar

and some info on car black boxes a component of the air bag system:

https://kodsiengineering.com/what-is-a-black-box/

it records 20 seconds before and 20 seconds after a collision which is enough data to reconstruct an accident:

https://rislone.com/blog/general/does-my-car-have-a-black-box/

Apparently, it doesn’t record your driving behavior long term, leave that to your cell phone…

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G
vela said:
Often when you want to make a right turn on a red light
… it is illegal in most jurisdictions.

Iirc it was supposedly introduced to save fuel, but is generally a traffic hazard where allowed. (And even more of a traffic hazard where not since nobody will be expecting it ..)

Orodruin said:
… it is illegal in most jurisdictions in my country.

Fixed that for you... :wink:

Curiously, I've seen something similar where a neighborhood petitioned the town to place no right-turn signs on certain streets to prevent folks from short-cutting through their neighborhood during peak traffic hours in the morning.

berkeman said:
Fixed that for you... :wink:
Not really. It is illegal everywhere in Europe, most of South America, large parts of Asia, I don’t know any African land that allows it, and it is forbidden in both Australia and New Zeeland.

There are some exceptions to the rule such as allowing it when a sign permits it or when there is a small green right arrow light next to the red (although this is arguably giving right turners a green light …)

• Informative
Likes pbuk and berkeman
berkeman said:
The other issue is that most modern cars have wider A-pillars to add crash strength, and wide A-pillars can hide a single pedestrian pretty effectively. Always move your head to keep checking behind your A-pillars when approaching an intersection or making a turn!

View attachment 299538
https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/driving-test-tutorials/a-pillar-blind-spots.html

Not to mention that some cars have oversize side mirrors that can block children and short pedestrians especially if you are a short driver.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Orodruin said:
It is illegal everywhere in Europe, most of South America, large parts of Asia, I don’t know any African land that allows it, and it is forbidden in both Australia and New Zeeland.
Perfectly legal in English-speaking Canada.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
It started here in the USA at least 54 years ago in some states. I don't know how widespread it is now, so you better ask, or observe the local custom, before trying it.

My biggest gripe about blind spots is the nicely padded, and large, windshield pillars these days. Those pillars completely block seeing pedestrians waiting to cross when the signal turns Green; then we almost meet when I make a left turn. No intersects... so far.

DaveC426913 said:
Perfectly legal in English-speaking Canada.
Didn’t say it wasn’t. I listed places where it is illegal.

<h2>1. What is the history behind jaywalking?</h2><p>The term "jaywalking" originated in the early 20th century in the United States. It was used to describe pedestrians who crossed the street in an illegal or reckless manner, often obstructing the flow of traffic. Prior to the invention of the automobile, pedestrians had the right-of-way on roads, but as cars became more prevalent, laws were put in place to regulate pedestrian behavior.</p><h2>2. When did jaywalking become a crime?</h2><p>Jaywalking became a crime in the early 20th century as cities began to implement traffic laws and regulations. In 1923, the American Automobile Association (AAA) launched a campaign to promote traffic safety and discourage jaywalking. By the 1930s, jaywalking was officially deemed a crime in most cities across the United States.</p><h2>3. Why was jaywalking made illegal?</h2><p>Jaywalking was made illegal in order to regulate pedestrian behavior and improve traffic flow. As cars became more prevalent, there was a growing concern for pedestrian safety. By making jaywalking a crime, it was believed that pedestrians would be more cautious and follow traffic laws, ultimately reducing the number of accidents and fatalities.</p><h2>4. Is jaywalking strictly enforced?</h2><p>The enforcement of jaywalking laws varies by location. In some cities, jaywalking is heavily enforced and can result in fines or even jail time. In other areas, it may be less strictly enforced and considered a minor offense. However, it is important to always follow traffic laws and cross the street safely to avoid potential accidents or legal consequences.</p><h2>5. Has the perception of jaywalking changed over time?</h2><p>Yes, the perception of jaywalking has changed over time. In the early 20th century, jaywalking was seen as a dangerous and reckless act. However, as cities became more congested and pedestrian-friendly, attitudes towards jaywalking began to shift. Some people now view jaywalking as a form of civil disobedience and a way to reclaim streets for pedestrians. Additionally, some cities have implemented "jaywalking zones" where pedestrians have the right-of-way and cars must yield to them.</p>

1. What is the history behind jaywalking?

The term "jaywalking" originated in the early 20th century in the United States. It was used to describe pedestrians who crossed the street in an illegal or reckless manner, often obstructing the flow of traffic. Prior to the invention of the automobile, pedestrians had the right-of-way on roads, but as cars became more prevalent, laws were put in place to regulate pedestrian behavior.

2. When did jaywalking become a crime?

Jaywalking became a crime in the early 20th century as cities began to implement traffic laws and regulations. In 1923, the American Automobile Association (AAA) launched a campaign to promote traffic safety and discourage jaywalking. By the 1930s, jaywalking was officially deemed a crime in most cities across the United States.

3. Why was jaywalking made illegal?

Jaywalking was made illegal in order to regulate pedestrian behavior and improve traffic flow. As cars became more prevalent, there was a growing concern for pedestrian safety. By making jaywalking a crime, it was believed that pedestrians would be more cautious and follow traffic laws, ultimately reducing the number of accidents and fatalities.

4. Is jaywalking strictly enforced?

The enforcement of jaywalking laws varies by location. In some cities, jaywalking is heavily enforced and can result in fines or even jail time. In other areas, it may be less strictly enforced and considered a minor offense. However, it is important to always follow traffic laws and cross the street safely to avoid potential accidents or legal consequences.

5. Has the perception of jaywalking changed over time?

Yes, the perception of jaywalking has changed over time. In the early 20th century, jaywalking was seen as a dangerous and reckless act. However, as cities became more congested and pedestrian-friendly, attitudes towards jaywalking began to shift. Some people now view jaywalking as a form of civil disobedience and a way to reclaim streets for pedestrians. Additionally, some cities have implemented "jaywalking zones" where pedestrians have the right-of-way and cars must yield to them.