The current given from a Car Battery?

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications of a car battery and how it can be used to power an infrared LED. The current produced by a car battery depends on the resistance and load of a particular application, making it difficult to use for powering an infrared LED. However, a high value resistor can be used to protect the LED. A car battery can deliver a spike in current for a short time, known as its cranking current, and in order to successfully power an infrared LED, several hundred LEDs would need to be connected in parallel and series.
Tinger
Hi guys, this is my first thread, and I am not sure where I'm supposed to put this so I hope this is ok? if not, please tell me how and where i can move it to
Ok, just a simple question that i can't seem to find anywhere, what is the current which is given out by a car battery?
Thanks, Tinger

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't find it anywhere because there is no such thing as "the current which is given out by a car battery".

A car battery has a specific voltage (typically 12 volts although some cars have 6 volt batteries). The current produced by that battery depends upon the resistance and load of a particular application (which will vary depending on whether the radio is on, the air conditioning is on, etc.)

Current= voltage divided by resistance.

ohh so it would be impossible to make a circuit using the power from a car battery to power an infrared LED? because the current given would be ever changing?

A car battery can deliver a few hundred amperes for a short time. This is known as it's cranking current as when you are starting your car. You would need a bank of several hundred IR LEDs in parallel and series in order not to blow them all up instantly.

Would a high value resistor work to protect the IR LEDs?

Yes it would. You would decide how much current you wanted to pass through the led. The led will operate at a near constant voltage. You subtract this voltage from 12 for the car battery. What's left is the voltage across the resistor. Using Ohms law you can then work out the value of the resistor.

yeah i understand that but you said that the battery gave a spike in current, wouldn't that mean that the current received when the car had started would be too low then and the current reaching the IR LED would be almost nothing?

Antiphon said:
A car battery can deliver a few hundred amperes for a short time. This is known as it's cranking current as when you are starting your car. You would need a bank of several hundred IR LEDs in parallel and series in order not to blow them all up instantly.

Yes, but one LED in series with a correct resistor will do the trick.

1. What is the current given from a car battery?

The current given from a car battery can vary depending on the size and type of battery, but typically ranges from 50 to 100 amps.

2. How is the current from a car battery measured?

The current from a car battery is measured in amps (A), which is the unit of electric current. A multimeter can be used to measure the current.

3. Can the current from a car battery be dangerous?

Yes, the current from a car battery can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to follow safety precautions and wear protective gear when working with a car battery.

4. How does the current from a car battery affect the car's electrical system?

The current from a car battery is essential for powering the car's electrical system, including the starter motor, lights, and other components. Without a sufficient current, these systems may not function properly.

5. Can the current from a car battery be increased?

Yes, the current from a car battery can be increased by connecting multiple batteries in parallel, which increases the total current output. However, it is important to make sure the electrical system can handle the increased current and to use caution when working with multiple batteries.