Circuit confusion, light bulbs, switches, and batteries

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of current in an electrical circuit and how it is affected by the placement of batteries. The participants question whether the current would move in a figure 8 pattern and consider the concept of a short circuit. They ultimately suggest drawing a circuit diagram and using current loop analysis to better understand the situation.
BluJay214
Homework Statement
So I came across this problem with this circuit. On the left side the battery is pointing up a wire, with negative side down. There's a switch on the positive side. On the right there is a battery with the negative down as well, with a light bulb on the positive side. Bisecting the wires there's another wire that is midway between the bottom wire connecting the negative ends of the battery and to the right of the switch. This wire has a light bulb on it.

When the switch is open, the circuit is battery, light bulb, light bulb, and back to the battery. When the switch is closed, only the middle light bulb lights up. I was wondering why this is the case.
Relevant Equations
V=IR
The light bulb can be considered a resistor
Before I modeled it, I thought the current would move in a figure 8 due to the battery on the right still loading the current. Then I thought of how the battery on the left would counteract that current. I am still not sure what is going on here. Is it kind of like a short circuit where the current goes the path of least resistance?

Attachments

• page 1.png
    page 1.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 282
  • page 2.png
    page 2.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 263
Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing an actual circuit diagram and use current loop analysis

why doesn't it move in a figure 8 though? wouldn't it do that or is that not how electricity works?

BluJay214 said:
why doesn't it move in a figure 8 though? wouldn't it do that or is that not how electricity works?
Try drawing an actual circuit diagram and use current loop analysis

1. What is the purpose of a circuit?

A circuit is used to create a complete, continuous pathway for electricity to flow from a power source (such as a battery) to an electrical device (such as a light bulb). This allows the electrical energy to power the device and make it work.

2. How do light bulbs work in a circuit?

Light bulbs have a thin filament inside that is made of a material that can glow and produce light when electricity flows through it. When a circuit is completed and electricity flows through the filament, it heats up and produces light.

3. What is the purpose of a switch in a circuit?

A switch is used to open or close a circuit, controlling the flow of electricity. When the switch is in the "on" position, it allows electricity to flow through the circuit, powering the device. When the switch is in the "off" position, it breaks the circuit and stops the flow of electricity.

4. Can I use any type of battery in a circuit?

No, it is important to use the correct type and size of battery for a circuit. Different types of batteries have different voltage and energy capacities, which can affect how a circuit operates. Using the wrong type of battery can cause damage to the circuit and the device it is powering.

5. What happens if I connect too many light bulbs to a circuit?

When too many light bulbs are connected in a circuit, it can cause an overload and trip the circuit breaker. This is because the light bulbs draw a certain amount of current, and if there are too many in the circuit, the combined current can exceed the limit of the circuit and cause it to shut off for safety reasons.