The definition of living beings

• Thread starter ArielGenesis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the definition of life can be broadly summarized as the characteristic of organisms that exhibit various phenomena including homeostasis, organization, metabolism, growth, adaptation, response to stimuli, and reproduction. However, this definition has limitations as it can also be applied to non-living things such as stars and fire. There is currently no universally agreed upon definition of life that cannot be argued against, as different fields and perspectives may have different understandings of what constitutes life.
ArielGenesis
sorry for asking question that might be considered as stupid but I keep on thinking for the definition of living beings

Life, term used to summarize the activities characteristic of all organisms—ranging from such primitive forms as cyanobacteria (formerly known as blue-green algae) to plants and animals. These activities fall into two major categories: reproduction and metabolism.
Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2006. © 1993-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Using this definition, a fire would "reproduce" and "metabolise"

The other major activity of living organisms is metabolism, the physical and chemical processes by which energy from the outside world is used in such activities as reproduction (including growth),
Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2006. © 1993-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

I am unable to satisfy my self in nearly all definition of living beings that I ever find. The closest one is given by a friend of mine: "anything that can be killed" But I am sure there are better ones.

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, the definition does say it describes "organisms". Fire is not an organism.

ArielGenesis said:
Using this definition, a fire would "reproduce" and "metabolise"
You've defined life (broadly), but you haven't defined "reproduce" or "metabolise".

A fire does not "reproduce" in the strict sense of the term.

I suppose that how fire "reproduce" is similar with vegetative reproduction, cell fission, and sponges, and others. There is a chemical reaction inside of fire, an oxidation I suppose, which I could loosely identify as "metabolism". I took a hard time in getting the essence, as in ancient greek philosophy, of what is life. I know I am being somewhat unscientific and going against anything conventional, but I really want to know.

The modern definition is generally based on inheriting characteristics.(1)

A fire can reproduce but it doesn't pass on any of the charactersitics of the original fire to it's offspring - you can't tell from a burning cigar if it was lit from a match or a burning oil tanker!

(1) Unless you are from the Southern USA - of course.

sorry I don't get, the jokes (1) >.< I am not from USA or anywhere near

So a living things is a thing which is able to inherit characteristic.

how about a infertile organism (due to many reasons like, accident or sickness or old ages), are they a living things?

And when a living things stop living? if living things is a thing that able to inherit characteristic, then an animal which is to old to reproduce is no more a living things.

Life is a characteristic of organisms that exhibit some of the following phenomena:

Homeostasis - keep your internal environment at a constant state
Organization - being composed of one or more cells (basic unit of life)
Metabolism - consumption of energy by converting nonliving material into cellular components and decomposing organic material.
Growth - A higher rate of synthesis than catalysis.
Adaptation - The ability to change over time in response to the environment
Response to stimuli - Self-explanatory
Reproduction - The ability to produce new organisms.

In order for something to be called life, it doesn't need to follow all of these, it is just that life is a characteristic of organisms that exhibit these phenomena.

http://www.astrobio.net/news/article226
http://www.nbi.dk/~emmeche/cePubl/97e.defLife.v3f.html

Actually, it is not that I do not know what is living things. it is that I am just unsatisfied with the current definition. I know my question could be annoying to most people, so I tried to be careful, but sometimes it just can't be help. so I am sorry.

Moridin, are you sure that your definition is perfect? that following some or more of that characteristic, something is worthy to be called as a living things? and to do that, I will push any given definition to its limit.

(I am not sure about this, but) according to gaia theory, the Earth could keep its "internal environment at a constant state"
And this way, a virus is able to reproduce.
and how about a factory that could produce robots to make sure that it is able keep producing robots (that able to make sure that ... )

One of the things that add to my confusion is, when an offspring begin to live?

The problem with the old - Homeostasis, Organization, Metabolism, Growth, Adaptation, Response to stimuli ,Reproduction,
defintiion is that all of these can be easily applied to other things from stars to fire.
The argument against the inheritance definition is that is can also be applied to say a generic algorithm or computer virus, but you can make the case that these are just as alive as a phage virus.

As for an infertile organism, the definition of course applies to class of things not necessarily to an individual. Ungulates are hoofed mammals, but a cow doesn't stop being a cow if you cut it's feet off!
The question about when something begins to live or die is not the same as the definition of life. It is probably best to consider that from athermodynamic/chemistry point of view, although that doesn't give you a precise answer.

The southern USA was a joke about some American states where the religous authorities have banned the teaching of evolution.

so mqb_phys, is the conclusion is that there are currently no such definition that i demand? no solid definition that can't be argued against?

and thanks for explaining the joke, I found it hilarious for a modern society to ban a teaching.

It's very difficult to come up with a simple mathematical style definition for a complex process like 'life'.
The definition used by a biochemist, a physicist, a transplant surgeon and a laywer in a murder case would all be very different.

1. What is the most commonly accepted definition of a living being?

The most commonly accepted definition of a living being is an organism that can grow, maintain homeostasis, respond to stimuli, reproduce, and adapt to its environment.

2. Can viruses be considered living beings?

The classification of viruses as living beings is a topic of debate among scientists. While they possess some characteristics of living beings, such as the ability to reproduce and evolve, they lack the ability to maintain homeostasis and are dependent on a host for survival. Therefore, they are generally not considered living beings.

3. How do scientists determine if something is a living being?

Scientists use a set of criteria, often referred to as the "seven characteristics of life," to determine if something is a living being. These criteria include organization, metabolism, growth, adaptation, response to stimuli, reproduction, and homeostasis.

4. Are there any exceptions to the definition of living beings?

While the seven characteristics of life are generally used to determine if something is a living being, there are some exceptions. For example, mules, which are the offspring of a horse and a donkey, are unable to reproduce, but are still considered living beings.

5. How has the definition of living beings changed over time?

The definition of living beings has evolved over time as our understanding of biology and the natural world has advanced. In the past, living beings were often defined as only those organisms that displayed obvious signs of life, such as movement and growth. However, with the discovery of microorganisms and advancements in genetics, the definition has become more complex and includes a wider range of characteristics and organisms.