Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The demonizing of Michael Vick and dog fighting: hypocrisy at its finest

1. Dec 18, 2007 #1
    The whole ordeal is just ridiculous! Yes, we all like to feel like we are better people by ostracizing the likes of Michael Vick. But maybe we should look at ourselves first. It's easy to judge people who support and implement the torture of an innocent animal and think we are better.

But before we cast the first stone, let's take a look at the atrocities we ourselves support every day:

WARNING: extremely graphic.
    http://www.goveg.com/jsfkosher.asp*

I'm not a vegetarian. I have nothing against eating animals. I do, however, have a problem with torturing animals. I would like to hear from anyone who thinks that pulling the teeth and cutting the tails of a pig without the use of an anesthetic does not qualify as torture (pigs, by the way, are smarter than dogs).

There is no need to go to extremes: In my house we buy our meat from free-range farms, and will soon visit the farm to ensure that animals are treated fairly. Over a large population, this is enough action to drive the industry to follow. There is no excuse for supporting this kind of treatment.

why is it that if I were to crowd a hundred dogs in a small room, have them live in their own filth, cut their tails and pull their teeth out, throw them around till their bones break, and finally slit their throats and let them slowly bleed to death I am an evil psychopath and will most likely be incarcerated; yet, if I were to do this to a cow or a sheep, I am doing something perfectly acceptable?

animals are not a commodity (as more and more recent research shows: they do have feelings, they are compassionate, they are not merely machines reacting to their environment) and should be treated with respect. I don't think it's much to ask that we ensure they at least lead happy lives before we use them for our own needs, and that we kill them quickly and painlessly.

* the video is mainly of kosher farms, for its intention is mainly to discredit the myth that kosher meat is treated more humanely, but the same kind of treatment is seen in non-kosher farms as well (e.g: the video segments "meet the animals"— pig farm is obviously not kosher)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2007 #2
    Out of sight, out of mind.

4. Dec 18, 2007 #3
    I'm a vegetarian because i don't like to support (what seems to me) this type of inhumanity. i also think its ironic that people get upset when someone lets their dog die in their car because of heat exhaustion but don't mind eating meat from animals that have lived in conditions that make death by heat exhaustion seem like a favor.

i want to rant about moral irony that relates to food but i think ill hold back this time.

cryus is right though, people don't mind eating anything so long as it looks, smells and tastes good on their plate. endangered fish, boiled cats, primates, pigs that get their teeth pulled out, there is a market for anything.

5. Dec 18, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I understand your frustration, but I don't see how two wrongs make a right. Unacceptable livestock practices hardly justify the abuse of dogs.

6. Dec 18, 2007 #5
    I'm not saying it justifies it; I'm just pointing out that people like to act all high and mighty and are quick to judge others without looking at themselves first. how can we advance as a society if it's so easy to jump people into a hateful brawl?

to me, this is just another small example reflective of the psyche of human society in general: it's too easy to start an angry mob, and too hard to initiate constructive introspection.

why is it that it's possible to persuade people into action only through negative emotions?

positive movements fail miserably at any results. the only way to persuade people, either positively or negatively, is through anger and fear.— and how devotedly those people turn to those persuasions rests not in the validity of the argument of the persuader, but in how effective he is in angering or scaring them.

one would think that after thousands of years of society, we would've grown out of this childish impressionability.

7. Dec 18, 2007 #6
    LOL Ray Lewis is associated in a murder case, some guy on the Steelers gets involved in an insurance fraud scandal, and half the guys on the Bengals have already been in jail but all they get are suspensions while Vick gets much worse? Stupid.

I can see why Vick should get in trouble for the gambling possible organized crime link, but for dog fighting? Pffffffff. There are NFL players who have done much worse and who are still playing.

8. Dec 18, 2007 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

gravenworld, the NFL didn't send Vick to jail, he got convicted.

9. Dec 18, 2007 #8
    But Goddell still put him up on a pedestal as well as the media. The only reason Lewis was also able to beat an accomplice to murder charge was because he was able to get a plea bargain deal too.

10. Dec 18, 2007 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Put who up on a pedistal? Lewis? He was given the largest fine in the history of the NFL and doesn't have any endorsements to speak of despite being a bona-fide superstar.

I suspect Lewis is guilty too, but unfortunatly, they didn't have the evidence they needed to prosecute him, otherwise they wouldn't have struck that deal.

11. Dec 18, 2007 #10
    Apples to oranges. Scorn the Japanese for eating dogs!

12. Dec 18, 2007 #11
    in what way are any of those things different, other than purely social bias? how is it apples and oranges?

13. Dec 18, 2007 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Did you mean to say Korea, or perhaps China? It might be a good idea to do a bit of research before slamming a whole population of a country with something as unpopular as this.

14. Dec 18, 2007 #13
    Because one activity is needed for our survival (food). The other is a sadistic hobby. How is dogfighting needed for our survival? Hey, I used to be a vegetarian myself although I didn't take an extreme stance like you're taking. The problem with your logic is that you're a hypocrite yourself because you're killing a living thing for food also. Plants are living things too. I find it's best not to entangle yourself in this interwoven tapestry of contradiction. There are a lot of justifiable hypocrisies. Dogfighting isn't one of them.

15. Dec 18, 2007 #14
    Yeah, I get it all mixed up sometimes.

16. Dec 18, 2007 #15
    perhaps you should read more closely before jumping to conclusions:

you just proved my point.
    I think many of the the world's largest problems could be solved in 10 minutes: if people only took those few minutes to think and consider before reacting, this planet would be much better for it.

17. Dec 18, 2007 #16
    Whats the problem with eating dogs or cats? As long as you kill it in a humane way, eat it!

I love that show Bizzare foods with Andrew Zimmer. He eats all sorts of things, and always tries it at least twice. I dont see how a dog is any different than a cow.

18. Dec 18, 2007 #17
    Complex problems are COMPLEX. You're speaking from ignorance if you think the world's largest problems could be solved so easily.

19. Dec 18, 2007 #18
    Dogs aren't as tasty as cows. And deer meat smells awful.

20. Dec 18, 2007 #19
    if i understand your post, i think your confusing the moral dilemmas of torturing pigs because its cost effective with being a vegetarian.

people are opposed to cruelty to animals while they don't watch dog fighting but are impartial when it gets them cheaper pork.

21. Dec 18, 2007 #20
    You misunderstood. I used to be a vegetarian myself, but I never based my decision on the premise of animal cruelty. Because although vegetarians like taking the moral high road they never admit their hypocrisy of killing a living thing for their benefit. There's nothing wrong with this as it's needed for survival. Speaking from experience I was just telling moedarklight not to destroy himself by getting entangled in the interwoven tapestry of hypocrisy. Once you do so it's very difficult to live and enjoy yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?