The derivative of f(x)*g(x)/h(x)

• Thread starter RandomMystery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the derivative rule for a function times another function divided by another function is to treat f(x)*g(x) as one function, say v(x), and then differentiate v(x) using the product rule. This can be done in two steps by using the formula [(fg)'h - fgh']/h2, which simplifies to [f'gh + fg'h - fgh']/h2.
RandomMystery
What is the derivative rule for a function times another function divided by another function?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just treat f(x)*g(x) as one function, say v(x). So you have the derivative of [tex]{{v(x)} \over {h(x)}}[/tex] which you differentiate like normal. When you differentiate v(x), you'll simply have a product rule to deal with.

It is easiest to do in two steps:
[(fg)'h - fgh']/h2 = [f'gh + fg'h - fgh']/h2

Thank you, I was trying to verify if that worked by doing it both ways. I figured out my problem. I had the signs on the v(x)/h(x) derivative rule switched.

What is the derivative of a product of functions?

The derivative of a product of functions is calculated using the product rule, which states that the derivative of f(x)*g(x) is equal to f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x). This means that the derivative of f(x)*g(x)/h(x) is (f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x))/h(x) - f(x)g(x)h'(x)/h(x)^2.

What is the quotient rule in calculus?

The quotient rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a quotient of two functions. It states that the derivative of f(x)/g(x) is (f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x))/g(x)^2. This rule can be applied to find the derivative of f(x)*g(x)/h(x) by treating f(x)*g(x) as the numerator and h(x) as the denominator.

How do you simplify the derivative of a quotient?

To simplify the derivative of a quotient, you can use the quotient rule and then simplify the resulting expression by factoring out common terms and canceling out any common factors. You can also use algebraic manipulation techniques to simplify the expression further.

Can you find the derivative of a quotient without using the quotient rule?

Yes, it is possible to find the derivative of a quotient without using the quotient rule. This can be done by using the chain rule, where you take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and then divide them. However, for more complex functions, it is often easier to use the quotient rule.

What is the significance of the derivative of a quotient in calculus?

The derivative of a quotient is significant in calculus because it allows us to find the rate of change of a function that is a ratio of two other functions. It is also useful in finding the slope of a tangent line to a curve and in solving optimization problems in real-world applications.