The Double Slit Experiment & its Connection to Pseudoscience

In summary, the conversation focused on the Double Slit experiment and its connection to pseudoscience, specifically the Law of Attraction. The individual asking the questions has done research on the topic and is seeking clarification from the forum members who have a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics. They mention the "observer effect" and its role in the experiment, as well as questioning the influence of expectations on the outcome. The conversation also touches on the potential for animals or babies to affect the results, and a request to avoid discussing the Law of Attraction. The conversation concludes with a reminder to focus on quantum mechanics only.
EAPB
The Double Slit Experiment & its Connection to "Pseudoscience"

Introduction

Hello everyone :), thank you for taking the time to view this as I have ALOT of questions regarding The Double Slit experiment and its connection to "The Law of Attraction" (LOA) or what many call pseudoscience. I have done a fair amount of homework on this subject before posting here, and I already understand that in no way shape or form does Quantum Physics verify the LoA. However, after doing my fair share of research, I do think it is a fair leap in logic to assume that it might be possible. Furthermore, I am posting here because I have seriously exhausted all other options. With that said, I hope you guys/girls who are all WAY smarter than me can assist in this dilemma.

My Dilemma

Now, after watching the countless videos on this experiment, and reading about it, I have come to a few forks in the road with logic and reasoning.

1. The "observer effect" (the idea that unless someone is observing something, the world operates in waves of infinite possibility) is not real in the laymen sense. The observer effect comes into play when you try to measure anything. In this case the detector, which is shining a focused beam at the electrons causing them collapse, which makes them operate like particles rather than waves.

-HOWEVER, during this experiment, when the detector was detecting the electrons, it was only registering the electrons coming through the upper slit, NOT the bottom slit. That means their should have been an interference pattern at least on the bottom slit? No? My other conundrum with this is experiment also has to deal with the detector itself. It uses beams of light from my understanding, so what type of effect would a lamp or simply a light bulb have on this experiment? Moreover, if the detector was NOT on and people were simply observing, not measuring, how would the electrons operate?

OR (the other side of the coin)

2. The observer effect is very real, and simply through trying to observe the electrons did these particles give us the result initially expected. This would mean that our expectations actually influence the experiment.

With that said, has this experiment ever been done with a baby in the room? Since a baby has no expectations would that affect the experiment in any way? What about an animal?

For anyone with some answers, it is greatly appreciated. I truly admire the intellect i found on this forum when i was chasing answers down the rabbit hole. Also, for anyone that is completely dismissive of the idea that the observers expectations influence experiments, i found this article with john wheeler, a colleague of Einstein who seems to truly believe in the observer effect, and takes it to a whole other level. http://discovermagazine.com/2002/jun/featuniverse#.Ud5qavm1F8G

NOTE: I am not well versed in QM, so the simpler the better. Also, I would like to steer away from this discussion being about how "dumb" the law of attraction is. I've studied it for quite some time, and it goes much deeper than simply manifesting wealth. In fact, that is only 5% of what it actually entails.

Thanks for whatever light can be shed on this murky topic for me. Being able to talk to minds much brighter than myself on this subject is a treat within itself :).

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use this thread to ask questions about the double slit experiment and about quantum mechanics. But pseudoscience such as the law of attraction is not allowed on this forum. So we're not going to discuss it in this thread.

EAPB said:
Also, for anyone that is completely dismissive of the idea that the observers expectations influence experiments, i found this article with john wheeler, a colleague of Einstein who seems to truly believe in the observer effect, and takes it to a whole other level. http://discovermagazine.com/2002/jun/featuniverse#.Ud5qavm1F8G

"Discover magazine says Wheeler believes" and "Wheeler believes" are different things.

EAPB said:
The "observer effect" (the idea that unless someone is observing something, the world operates in waves of infinite possibility) is not real in the laymen sense.

First thing you need to understand is a semantic confusion that sometimes arises where in QM because the word observation is used some think that implies an actual observer. Its not like that at all. An observation is when a quantum process makes its appearance here in the common sense classical macro world. In the double slit experiment its where a flash happens on the screen or a mark appears on the photographic plate. That happens regardless of if anyone looks at it or not.

I think it would be worthwhile for you to read about it again bearing that in mind.

Thanks
Bill

Please don't make any posts about the Law Of Attraction here. This thread is for discussion of QM only.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does the double slit experiment relate to pseudoscience?

The double slit experiment has been misrepresented and misinterpreted by some as evidence for pseudoscientific concepts such as the power of human consciousness to affect reality. However, these interpretations are not supported by scientific evidence and do not accurately reflect the true nature of the experiment.

3. What is the correct interpretation of the results of the double slit experiment?

The correct interpretation of the double slit experiment is that light exhibits both wave-like and particle-like properties, depending on how it is observed and measured. This phenomenon is known as wave-particle duality and is a well-established concept in physics.

4. Why is the double slit experiment important in the scientific community?

The double slit experiment is important because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light, which has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of matter and energy. It has also been used to support the development of quantum mechanics, one of the most successful and widely accepted theories in modern physics.

5. How can we prevent the misinterpretation of the double slit experiment in pseudoscience?

To prevent the misinterpretation of the double slit experiment in pseudoscience, it is important for scientists to clearly communicate the correct interpretation of the experiment and to debunk any false claims that may arise. It is also important for the general public to have a basic understanding of scientific principles and critical thinking skills to evaluate claims made in the name of science.