The Empire Strikes Back length contraction.

In summary, the conversation discusses the symbols used to mark starships of the Solar Federation and the Denebian Empire. The equations L=(1-(v/c)^2)l and b=nb[SQRT(1 - (v/c)^2)] are referenced in relation to determining the observed length of the major axis when a ship is traveling at speed v. Two different solutions for v are presented, with the first solution being v = (c/n)*SQRT[(n^2 - 1)] and the second solution being v= c(1-c/n). The group is unsure which solution is correct and why there are two different answers.
seto6

Homework Statement

The starships of the Solar Federation are marked with the symbol of the Federation, a circle, whereas starships of the Denebian Empire are marked with the Empire's symbol, an ellipse whose major axis is n times its minor axis (a=nb in the figure ).

Homework Equations

L=(1-(v/c)^2)l

The Attempt at a Solution

x = rest length of major axis = nb
L = observed length of major axis when ship is traveling at speed v and must be equal to b since you want the ellipse to look like federation circle

b = nb[SQRT(1 - v^2/c^2)] then
to this (1/n)^2 = 1 - v^2/c^2
solve for V...v^2 = (c^2)[1 - (1/n)^2] = (c^2)[ (n^2 - 1)/n^2]
then arrive at v = (c/n)*SQRT[(n^2 - 1)].

i also did this.
L=(1-(v/c)^2)l

b=nb[SQRT(1 - (v/c)^2)]

then i got ((1/n)^2)^1/2)= 1-v/c ---> 1-1/n=v/c

solving for v i got v= c(1-c/n)

i'm not sure which one is correct and don't under stand y different answer.

#1v = (c/n)*SQRT[(n^2 - 1)].

#2 v= c(1-c/n)

im lost

Physics news on Phys.org
i think i made a mistake some where not sure where tho

seto6 said:

Homework Equations

L=(1-(v/c)^2)l
It's kinda difficult to read your notation in pure type. This kind of problem is where LaTeX comes in real handy.

Do you mean,

[tex] L' = L \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}} \ ?[/tex]

Here is a link to Physic's Forum LaTex guide.
https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf"

The Attempt at a Solution

x = rest length of major axis = nb
L = observed length of major axis when ship is traveling at speed v and must be equal to b since you want the ellipse to look like federation circle

b = nb[SQRT(1 - v^2/c^2)] then
to this (1/n)^2 = 1 - v^2/c^2
solve for V...v^2 = (c^2)[1 - (1/n)^2] = (c^2)[ (n^2 - 1)/n^2]
then arrive at v = (c/n)*SQRT[(n^2 - 1)].
Re-writing in LaTeX gives,
==========================================================

[tex] b = nb \sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{n^2} = 1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2} [/tex]

[tex] v^2 = c^2 \left( 1 - \frac{1}{n^2} \right) = c^2 \left( \frac{n^2 - 1}{n^2} \right)[/tex]

[tex] v = (c/n) \sqrt{n^2 - 1} [/tex]

============================================================

Okay, so far I follow you. :approve:
i also did this.
L=(1-(v/c)^2)l

b=nb[SQRT(1 - (v/c)^2)]

then i got ((1/n)^2)^1/2)= 1-v/c ---> 1-1/n=v/c
Rewriting,

============================================================

[tex] b = nb \sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2} [/tex]

[tex] \sqrt{ \left( \frac{1}{n^2} \right)^2} = \left( 1 - \frac{v}{c} \right) \ \longrightarrow \ \left( 1 - \frac{1}{n} \right) = \frac{v}{c} [/tex]

==============================================================

Ouch! I see the problem,

You had,

[tex] \sqrt{ \left( \frac{1}{n^2} \right)^2} = \left( 1 - \frac{ \color{red}{v}}{ \color{red}{c}} \right) [/tex]

But it should be:

[tex] \sqrt{ \left( \frac{1}{n^2} \right)^2} = \left( 1 - \frac{v^{\color{red}{2}}}{c^{\color{red}{2}}} \right) [/tex]

solving for v i got v= c(1-c/n)

i'm not sure which one is correct and don't under stand y different answer.

#1v = (c/n)*SQRT[(n^2 - 1)].
The above one looks good to me. :approve:
#2 v= c(1-c/n)
And, followed by not so good. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is length contraction in "The Empire Strikes Back"?

Length contraction is a concept in physics that is depicted in "The Empire Strikes Back" when the Millennium Falcon travels through the Hoth asteroid field. It refers to the perceived shortening of the length of an object in the direction of its motion, as observed by an outside observer.

2. How does length contraction work in "The Empire Strikes Back" scene?

In "The Empire Strikes Back," the Millennium Falcon is shown to travel at high speeds through the Hoth asteroid field. As it moves, its length appears to shrink from the perspective of an outside observer, due to the effects of relativity.

3. Is length contraction a real phenomenon in physics?

Yes, length contraction is a well-established concept in physics. It is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the observed length of an object can change depending on the relative motion between the observer and the object.

4. Are there any real-life examples of length contraction?

Yes, length contraction has been observed in various experiments, such as the famous Muon Experiment, which showed that high-speed muons have a longer lifespan due to length contraction. It is also taken into account in the design of particle accelerators and other high-speed technologies.

5. Does length contraction have any practical applications?

Yes, length contraction is a crucial concept in modern physics and has been used to explain various phenomena, such as the stability of the universe and the behavior of subatomic particles. It also has practical applications in technologies that involve high speeds, such as satellite communication and particle accelerators.