The Energy Levels of a Quantum Harmonic Oscillator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mrausum
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
I've followed this:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hosc3.html#c1,

up to the part where it gets to here:

hosc12.gif
.

The guide says: "Then setting the constant terms equal gives the energy"? Am I being stupid? I really can't see where that equations come from.
 
Attachments
  • hosc12.gif
    hosc12.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
They have an equation of the form
[tex]a + b x^2 = c[/tex]
which is true for all values of x. The only way for that to be true for all values of x is for a = c and b = 0. a and c are the constant terms they talk about, they do not depend on x. It gives the energy because the RHS of the equation only has the energy in it.
 
kanato said:
They have an equation of the form
[tex]a + b x^2 = c[/tex]
which is true for all values of x. The only way for that to be true for all values of x is for a = c and b = 0. a and c are the constant terms they talk about, they do not depend on x. It gives the energy because the RHS of the equation only has the energy in it.

Ah, of course. Thanks. Is it just by chance that the ground state energy is equal to the lowest possible value calculated from the uncertainty principle? I'm guessing the ground state energy for other potential functions is greater than that from the UP?

Also, is this:

hosc3.gif


just a particular integral that happens to give the lowest energy? I'm reading on now and it looks like the general solution is a ton of maths :(