The equivilence of Power and Kinetic Energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
Unto
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
This isn't homework, just be going over a few concepts.

I'm trying to show that the power delivered by a force equals the rate at which the particle is changing.

Now P = [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]
= m[tex]\vec{a}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]
= m[tex]\vec{v}[/tex] [tex]\stackrel{\delta}{\delta t}[/tex][tex]V^2[/tex]

This book is now telling me that the above line = 2[tex]\vec{a}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]whyyyyy?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really read what you wrote...

[tex]P = \vec{F} \cdot \vec{v}[/tex]

[tex]P = m \vec{a} \cdot \vec{v}[/tex]

[tex]P = m \frac{d \vec{v}}{dt} \cdot \vec{v}[/tex]

[tex]P = m \frac{d}{dt}\frac{||{v}||^2}{2}[/tex]

But after that you get that

[tex]2 \vec{a} \cdot \vec{v} = \frac{d ||{v}||^2}{dt}[/tex]
 
Feldoh said:
I can't really read what you wrote...

[tex]P = \vec{F} \cdot \vec{v}[/tex]

[tex]P = m \vec{a} \cdot \vec{v}[/tex]

[tex]P = m \frac{d \vec{v}}{dt} \cdot \vec{v}[/tex]

[tex]P = m \frac{d}{dt}\frac{|{v}|^2}{2}[/tex]

But after that you get that

[tex]2 \vec{a} \cdot \vec{v} = \frac{d (|{v}|^2)}{dt}[/tex]

In your 4th line, where does that 2 come from? I still don't understand the jump from v to a, shouldn't it be only 2a? Not 2a x V?
 
In the fourth line comes from the chain rule, which is also the reason you get 2a dot v.

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \frac{v(t)^2}{2} = (2 v(t)) \frac{d}{dt}\frac{v(t)}{2}[/tex]