The exciton dynamics in the FMO complex

In summary, the conversation is about studying the coherence transfer of excitation in the FMO complex and using the Lindblad master equation to solve it. The person is also working with various references, such as "Quantum effects in quantum biology" and is having difficulties applying the Lindblad equation on the FMO complex, which contains 7 Bchls. They are wondering if they can treat each chlorophyll as a two-level system or if there are other ways to describe the exciton dynamics in the FMO complex.
Ayoub EL-AMRANI
TL;DR Summary
can we treat the exciton in the FMO complex as a two level system to apply the Lindblad equation?
I want to study the coherence transfer of the excitation in the FMO complex, so I have to solve the Lindblad master equation. Can I treat my system as a two level system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ayoub EL-AMRANI said:
I want to study the coherence transfer of the excitation in the FMO complex, so I have to solve the Lindblad master equation.

Can you give a specific reference? It would help to know what source you are working from.

in fact, I work with many reference, like Quantum effects in quantum biology
indeed I find some difficulties to apply the Lindblad equation on the FMO complex(it's protein contain 7 Bchls) so I wonder if I can treat each chlorophyll as a two system level ? or there's other way to describe the exciton dynamics in the FMO complex?

1. What is the FMO complex?

The FMO complex, also known as the Fenna-Matthews-Olson complex, is a protein complex found in green sulfur bacteria. It is responsible for harvesting and transferring light energy to the reaction center in photosynthesis.

2. What is exciton dynamics?

Exciton dynamics refers to the movement and behavior of excitons, which are quasiparticles that carry energy in the form of an excited state in a material. In the FMO complex, excitons are created by absorbing light and then transferred to the reaction center for further processing.

3. How is the exciton dynamics in the FMO complex studied?

The exciton dynamics in the FMO complex can be studied using various techniques such as time-resolved spectroscopy, fluorescence measurements, and theoretical modeling. These methods allow scientists to observe and analyze the movement and interactions of excitons within the complex.

4. What is the significance of studying the exciton dynamics in the FMO complex?

Understanding the exciton dynamics in the FMO complex is important for gaining insights into the mechanisms of photosynthesis and potentially improving solar energy conversion technologies. It can also provide valuable information for designing artificial photosynthetic systems.

5. What have scientists learned about the exciton dynamics in the FMO complex so far?

Through studies and experiments, scientists have discovered that the exciton dynamics in the FMO complex is highly efficient and involves a delicate balance between quantum coherence and classical energy transfer. They have also found evidence of long-lived quantum coherence in the complex, which may play a role in its efficient energy transfer process.