Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Facts Everyone Should Know Test

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Not an idiot

You scored 100% not an idiot! Yay! You got them all right. You may not be a genius, but at least you won't show up on "Jay Walking" any time soon.

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=17467732079199013753

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2006 #2

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When he says US centered he's not kidding! I also did badly on the literature questions... this is physics forums after all.

4. Nov 23, 2006 #3
    Out of curiosity, what did you find US-centric about it? George Washington and George Bush were both on the test, but I think most would know those two.

The others were all people from other places.

I suppose, in theory, that a US citizen might be more aware that Germany (for example) is not a US state, but I would also suspect the Germans would be even more aware of it. Frankly, given the specifics of that question, I think more non-US citizens would get the answer right than US citizens. The particular country involved has something of an identity crisis in that regard.

5. Nov 23, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Mediocre
    You scored 95% not an idiot!
    Ok, I think everyone should be able to get every question right. You came close, but you missed one or two. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just clicked wrong or something.

My test tracked 1 variable How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 99% on Culturedness

It didn't tell me which ones I got wrong. :grumpy: (But I assume that the civil war thing was one of them.)

6. Nov 23, 2006 #5

Evo

I hate it when they don't tell you. Ok, the Civil War one I wouldn't have known if I wasn't in the US.

7. Nov 23, 2006 #6
    Boy, are there ever some idiots in your demographic. I scored 100% (all right), and I was only 54% for my age and gender.

Of course, you might have been the only one in your demographic to take that particular test.

8. Nov 23, 2006 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

100% too.

I don't actually remember seeing the famous communist, except on Simpsons!

9. Nov 23, 2006 #8

russ_watters

95% for me too and I'm not sure what I got wrong....

I'm thinking either "Who did Abraham almost kill?" or "Who was the goddess of knowledge?"

10. Nov 24, 2006 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I didn't really find that to be Yankeecentric, but most people from other hemispheres probably would. Unlike the Yank education system, wherein apparently the US is the only country on the planet, we are taught history of all major civilizations (but I can't remember when the Civil War started; I went with 1820's on that, based upon the firearms in service).
    Given that Alkatran is a fellow Canuk, I can only assume that the educational establishment has shifted its focus since I got out of school over 30 years ago.

11. Nov 24, 2006 #10

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

I notice he misspelled "gandhi" and "odyssey." I got the Christopher Colombus one wrong (95%, 99th percentile).

12. Nov 24, 2006 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Do I even want to know what your signature is about?

13. Nov 24, 2006 #12

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

It's a Dilbert cartoon--little ceramic puppies that fit in your nose.

14. Nov 24, 2006 #13

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

It was part of a joke about people selling useless things.

15. Nov 24, 2006 #14

turbo

Gold Member

It was 1860's. In the 1820's flintlocks were in service, and it wasn't until the 1840's that percussion-cap ignition became prevalent, and it wasn't until the 1860's that cartridge rifles became widely available.

I got exactly the same score that you did. I'm assuming I missed the Greek goddess of knowledge and maybe counted Canada as a US state. :surprised

16. Nov 24, 2006 #15
    I got 100%, but then they did ask me if the Pope was Catholic.

17. Nov 24, 2006 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I got 91% right (mediocre). That would be wrong on the US president picture (I thought it was John Adams??), and one other US-centred question, I believe.

Probably, it was the "It's a wonderful life" question.
    I answered Humphrey Bogart, but when I changed that to Jimmy Stewart, my score went up to 95% (keeping John Adams).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  18. Nov 24, 2006 #17

Danger

Gold Member

I guess what screwed me up about that was that in a show I saw about the '49 gold rush, cap-and-ball revolvers seemed common enough that I assumed they had been around for a long time.

Now I want a nose puppy. :frown:
    Dilbert is about the only thing that I miss from not getting the newspaper any more. I'll have to buy some of the books.

19. Nov 24, 2006 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

About 10 question was US-related (including Columbus).
    "What a wonderful life"-this is a US film, US actors
    "Jesse Jackson"-US politician, US athletes.
    And who knows how George Washington looked like apart from USAns??

Just to mention the 3 worst US-centrisms.

20. Nov 24, 2006 #19

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

facts everyone should know:

what is the arabic title of "1001 nights"?

what is the "yoneda lemma?

how many simple groups have order less than 500?

why is there air?

is leoville las cases a "first growth" or "second growth"?

are e and pi algebraically independent?

who is afraid of virginia wolff?

how about them dawgs?

who recorded "transfusion"?

if a surjective group map admits a section, is the domain a semi direct product?

who directed "diabolique"?

21. Nov 24, 2006 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isaac

Athena

I got 100%

Was that just a random guess? It seems strange that a European would know John Adams was a US president, but wouldn't recognize George Washington. I don't think many Americans would recognize a picture of John Adams.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?