The Fish (fishkeepers, breeders, fish lovers)

• Thread starter Lacy33
  • Start date
In summary: Who here is keeping a fish tank? We currently have two Betta boys. :!) They just had their one year birthday with us. Which one is the alpha? Thank you Drizzle. Yanick, Thank you for sharing all this. I know how fish love can sneak up on you and there you are. But just like you experienced, there we were, with the wrong information, equiptment and eventually dead fish, one right after the next. I think the worse burial in the park was our second when I passed out coming home. The emotional attachment to these little aquatic personalities is so strong. Who would have guessed. We now have two tanks and
DaveC426913 said:
I try to avoid tightly covered tanks. Interferes with gas exchange.
They have grated lids.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both of our lionfish just died due to tainted food... :(

dimensional said:
Oh no, what happened to the food?

Well, their food happened to be live goldfish, and I'm not entirely sure what went wrong. We got them from the same place we always do. The day after we fed them they both died. I suppose it really could have been coincidence, but I'm sure it was because of the fish.

They were both awesome, too! Rest in Peace Spike and Sting.

(this only happened a week ago)

dimensional said:

Oh man! That sucks.

dimensional said:
Well, their food happened to be live goldfish, and I'm not entirely sure what went wrong. We got them from the same place we always do. The day after we fed them they both died. I suppose it really could have been coincidence, but I'm sure it was because of the fish.

Sorry for your loss.

dimensional said:

RIP Spike and Sting. :cry:

Dimensional, Did you write an ode to Sting and Spike?

:blushing:
Daaaaaave? You and i will just be respectful Right? :biggrin:

Both of our Betta boys are sick, but Hubby has asked me not to put them to sleep.

A "little" upset about this, I know why he asked me not to.
But I so wish they had made out a living will! :cry:

Lacy33 said:
Both of our Betta boys are sick, but Hubby has asked me not to put them to sleep.

A "little" upset about this, I know why he asked me not to.
But I so wish they had made out a living will! :cry:
Do they have ick? That's treatable, isn't it?

Evo said:
Do they have ick? That's treatable, isn't it?

No it's not ick. Tho they did have it over a year ago and that is when we went for information and a complete overhaul on their living conditions. Heaters, filters and such. No, Evo, I clipped our stronger betta with a tool and he is having a very hard time recovering from his wound. This is very hard to talk about.
I am using betta fix and something else i would need get up and go look at.
The other boy, Goldie (he hates that name), was sickly when we got him, but he is so unfish like that we don't know if he is dying or rehearsing for a Broadway play. We are a block from Broadway you know. Goldie the Drama King. Goldie loves humans so much I think he would go shopping, and sleep in the bed with us if we let him. Rocky, I fear I may have hurt so badly he, may have a hard time recovering.

Lacy33 said:
Goldie loves humans so much I think he would go shopping, and sleep in the bed with us if we let him.

I don't see anything wrong with taking your fish out for a walk. Do it!

lucygoesforawalk.jpg

Though sleeping in bed with you? That might require some serious fishy habitrail gerbil ball technology.

ps. Probably the only reason I've not installed a fishy habitrail that runs through my entire house is the prohibitive expense of the tubing, the risk of leaks, and the fact that my family would finally have me committed.

OmCheeto, You are such a nice fish daddy to take your dear fish out for a swim. :biggrin:
Rocky is not feeling well at the moment but Goldie (he hates that name) wants to go sledding.
Something about that thought makes me think of the Cat In The Hat books.

Lacy33 said:
No it's not ick. Tho they did have it over a year ago and that is when we went for information and a complete overhaul on their living conditions. Heaters, filters and such. No, Evo, I clipped our stronger betta with a tool and he is having a very hard time recovering from his wound. This is very hard to talk about.
I am using betta fix and something else i would need get up and go look at.
The other boy, Goldie (he hates that name), was sickly when we got him, but he is so unfish like that we don't know if he is dying or rehearsing for a Broadway play. We are a block from Broadway you know. Goldie the Drama King. Goldie loves humans so much I think he would go shopping, and sleep in the bed with us if we let him. Rocky, I fear I may have hurt so badly he, may have a hard time recovering.
awww {{{Lacy}}} I'm sure he'll be ok.

OmCheeto said:
Probably the only reason I've not installed a fishy habitrail that runs through my entire house is the prohibitive expense of the tubing, the risk of leaks, and the fact that my family would finally have me committed.[/SIZE]

Fish habitrail? http://boingboing.net/2007/01/09/habitrail-for-fish.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
awww {{{Lacy}}} I'm sure he'll be ok.

Thank you Evo and all. This is a hard time. One of the forums I go to is for fish keepers and sometimes the sense of support and community given to a fish and the owner at times like this really leave one sobbing.
We went through this with my daughter and a forum for rabbits this last summer when a bunnie left in her care turned out to be a female and gave birth. I think she had five babies die in her hands.
All of these forums are wonderful to the communities they serve.
I don't want to go to my fish forum because I was an idiot and hurt our fish causing this. Those people might kill me. Then who would care for the other two fish we have? Rocky (hhtn) and Hubby? :cry:

Lacy33 said:
Thank you Evo and all. This is a hard time. One of the forums I go to is for fish keepers and sometimes the sense of support and community given to a fish and the owner at times like this really leave one sobbing.
We went through this with my daughter and a forum for rabbits this last summer when a bunnie left in her care turned out to be a female and gave birth. I think she had five babies die in her hands.
All of these forums are wonderful to the communities they serve.
I don't want to go to my fish forum because I was an idiot and hurt our fish causing this. Those people might kill me. Then who would care for the other two fish we have? Rocky (hhtn) and Hubby? :cry:
You never intended to harm him, your intentions were good. Just remember that.

Love and {{{{hugs}}}} from all of us Lacy dear. We're all with you.

Last edited:
Evo said:
You never intended to harm him, your intentions were good. Just remember that.

Love and {{{{hugs}}}} from all of us Lacy dear. We're all with you.

I only cried hard one other time when on pf and that was an angry, selfish, temper tantrum having some thing to do with a pink never.

I appreciate your post so much that I just can't really express it.
I didn't think Rocky would take a turn for the worse when starting this thread. But since the thread has been going, I have learned to laugh at dead fish jokes and experiences.
OK! Darling Rocky collided with the sword I was knighting him with. :frown: That's why he was being knighted. He's brave.
We hope for the best and even if he leaves. I suspect he will be back because I never met a fish that so much enjoyed trying to bite my hand off at pellet time.
xoxo

Lacy33 said:
I only cried hard one other time when on pf and that was an angry, selfish, temper tantrum having some thing to do with a pink never.

I appreciate your post so much that I just can't really express it.
I didn't think Rocky would take a turn for the worse when starting this thread. But since the thread has been going, I have learned to laugh at dead fish jokes and experiences.
OK! Darling Rocky collided with the sword I was knighting him with. :frown: That's why he was being knighted. He's brave.
We hope for the best and even if he leaves. I suspect he will be back because I never met a fish that so much enjoyed trying to bite my hand off at pellet time.
xoxo

:frown: Evo is right, you have love and hugs from all of us!

lisab said:
:frown: Evo is right, you have love and hugs from all of us!

Thank you Lisab.
I just read all this to Rocky and he snapped at me and said, "you sorry? Huh? You sorry you stabbed me? Do you think I am going to forgive you? I'm going to bite your face off! :mad: Come close to the top of the tank. You know like you did the day you tried to make me Fish On A Stick!" :grumpy:

I think he will get over it. :!) Rocky loves me. :tongue2:

I love yellow santa fish!

rootX said:
I love yellow santa fish!

He loves you too. What do you want for Chrismas?

Rocky (da shark) Balboa joins Spike and Sting today.
RIP dear boys.

Lacy33 said:
RIP dear boys.
:cry: Noooo. Oh noooo. :cry:

Lacy I am so sorry.

{{{{{hugs}}}} He knew you loved him.

Lacy33 said:
RIP dear boys.

That's very unfortunate. Hope they lived well and enjoyed love from you guys.

Lacy33 said:
RIP dear boys.

So sorry to hear if it :frown:! RIP, sweet fishies.

lacy33 said:
rocky (da shark) balboa joins spike and sting today.
Rip dear boys.

:( :(

Thank you all.
Spike and Sting were Dimensional's dear lionfish who passed about the first week in December.
Rocky, I had to help sleep yesterday because he had stopped eating and could not even really move much.
Perhaps a mistake, I held him in my hand while he went to sleep. I don't know how I could not have done that as I have been holding both of the fish in the water during water changes and they had become so tame.
But I had and continue to have this feeling that I murdered him.
WAIT!
I think that is why the professionals say to cover the fish while it goes to sleep from the clove oil and then add the vodka when fully asleep.
Our situation was such a mixed package because we played with them and they were/ are use to human contact. Maybe like dolphins.
Goldie (hhtn :yuck:) is still with us. Thankfully
We are thinking though about getting something "mommy" can really play with,... like a T-Rex.

Fish would be cooler if you could somehow engineer a reverse-scooba suit like in Futurama :)

dydxforsn said:
Fish would be cooler if you could somehow engineer a reverse-scooba suit like in Futurama :)

http://hight3ch.com/fish-controlled-vehicle/"
[PLAIN]http://www.techepics.com/files/fish_robot.jpg

DaveC426913 said:
[PLAIN]http://www.techepics.com/files/fish_robot.jpg[/QUOTE]

Dave, that's pretty clever. Do you get many fish that way? HUH?
Anyway, Goldie took one look at that and took off. 5:35 est. Take good care of our Goldy. OK?

DaveC426913 said:
[PLAIN]http://www.techepics.com/files/fish_robot.jpg[/QUOTE]That's cool!

That's what Goldie thought. Just up and left. We guess he wanted wheels too.

Lacy33 said:
That's what Goldie thought. Just up and left. We guess he wanted wheels too.
Is goldie ok?

Evo said:
Is goldie ok?

No, all in about ten minutes, he swam around funny and went head down and out dead. We didn't even get a chance to say good bye. Very strange.
Though I may sound dry, that is not the case here and I have a feeling in a blizzard we will be bringing more boys home tomorrow. Jerry knows we need kids in the house. We are a family kind of couple.
Thank you for noticing.

Because it's Christmas I didn't want to say our boy left on Christmas and make people sad.
We are sad but thankful we had them for so long.